Grape jam question

Anny

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Can you only use Concord grapes to make grape Jam or can you use other types of grapes? Thank you!

VT-Chicklit

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
You can use other types of grapes, even wild muscadine grapes. The reason that Concord grapes are recomended is because of their strong grapey flavor.

Grandma Goldie

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Wild grapes make a wonderful jel. Also I have found that Reliance grapes make a better tasting jel than even Concord. The jel comes out a beautiful shape of very pale pink. My family will not eat the Concord anymore.

Grandma Goldie

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Thank you. I have been lurking for quite some time and just had to respond. I love this site. It reminds me of all the things my mom and grandma did as I was growing up.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Grandma Goldie said:
Thank you. I have been lurking for quite some time and just had to respond. I love this site. It reminds me of all the things my mom and grandma did as I was growing up.
Sounds like you will have lots to share with us! :D

davaroo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
You can use any type of grape you want, I guess.
The purple "grape jam" we are familir with is kind of a put on, anyway, a too-good-to-be-true outcome. Especially the color looks trumped up. I wonder just how much real grape is in that stuff?

"Real" grape jam or jelly is whatever color the fruit is, unless one adds coloring. Around here, people make muscadine jelly and it is very good - and only slightly purply reddish.