What did you do in your garden today?

LaurenRitz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Planted out a bunch of herbs. Watermelons are up. They do a pretty good job of hibernating until it's warm enough for them. One pumpkin survived the cold tolerance test and I marked it for seed. It has two sets of true leaves already. Moschatas are coming up. No corn yet, but since it was only (re)planted this week I don't expect that for a while. The rain killed some of my tree seedlings, so I have four apricots and three almonds left from this year's planting.

Potatoes are looking very sad after all the rain. I think if I want to regularly plant potatoes I need to go the TPS route.

The interesting thing is the beans. Dry beans popped right up, even in the cold, but I haven't seen a single green bean. Not sure whether I should buy new seed, replant, or try something else in that space.

LaurenRitz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I saved seeds from pie pumpkin plants that came up as volunteers and survived two separate killer frosts two years ago. They did well when I direct sowed them in the garden last year.
My plan is to eventually be able to plant everything in fall and let it come up on its own time in the spring. What can be self-seeding or perennialized will be.

R2elk

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My plan is to eventually be able to plant everything in fall and let it come up on its own time in the spring. What can be self-seeding or perennialized will be.
That may or may not be possible where you live. It will never be possible here.

While volunteers may often come up here (tomatoes in particular), the growing season is too short for them to produce like is possible in an area that has a longer growing season.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That may or may not be possible where you live. It will never be possible here.

While volunteers may often come up here (tomatoes in particular), the growing season is too short for them to produce like is possible in an area that has a longer growing season.
Even here in now zone 7, volunteer tomatoes don't have enough grow season to produce much of any thing before frost gets them. I must start seeds indoors to get a tomato crop. We have volunteer tomatoes pop up in the weirdest places, outside of the garden. I'm thinking wild birds are mainly the seed spreaders.

Jesus is Lord and Christ ✝️