2024 Resolutions

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Hi y’all! I’ve been swarmed. Bad weather, rains from January through June created the perfect storm for parasites. I lost 11 out of 31 lambs. Followed vet protocols and watched lambs weaken and die. I’ve never, ever had lambs with parasites like this. I took stunted lambs to auction and got practically nothing for them. I kept 7 ewe lambs, they are tough and strong. A little small for what they went through, that is to be expected.

My sisters house flooded in May, she was rescued out the second story window. She is taking the FEMA buyout and has bought another house. It’s been an ongoing nightmare.

Rains have finally stopped. Hurricane Beryl blew through, blew apart portions of a shed. Did some other damage, already fixed. Still working on taking apart lumber pieces of shed. It was put together with 4” ringshank nails. I count my progress not by counting liberated boards, but by how many of those damned nails I pull. Yesterday’s count:23.

IMG_7065.jpeg

Now on to my list!

Remnants of 2023 list are still waiting to get done. They are available for adoption if anyone wants them.

2024 list

#1,9,10, and 11 are done. #12 is done but involved having my moms cedar chest picked up for repair. It went to Tennessee and was returned. It is here now!
#13,17, done. #18, I just started on. I bought 2 sets of door trim yesterday and have first coat of paint on them. If I like it, I need 13 more. Doors have front and back. LOL $$$$ is a factor, may take awhile. So 18 has been started, may take awhile.

I finished cutting in at ceiling and floor in living room. When I pulled p quarter round, I numbered pieces and taped them together. I have the quarter round laid out, going to borrow a brad nailer to finish it. I’ll have one room finished. It’s already looking better.

IMG_7020.jpeg

#4. Build a 3 sided shed. Might as well add a barn in bigger field while I’m at it. I bought trusses for a 50x36 barn.

I have concluded that I cannot afford to build either barn at my present rate of income. I’ve put in an application for a job. I was called back in to fill out an online application, sent to HR and sent to take a drug test. It can take 3-4 weeks for the process. One hour drive each way, I can work 40 hours or 50, I’m opting for 50 hours. As soon as I save up enough money to buy the materials and pay the labor for the 3 sided barn, just the poles and a roof, I’ll do it. If I have to, I can wrap the sides with a tarp for the winter.
This place needs the infrastructure for a functional farm. I’m not making the progress I need and want. So Hi Ho, Hi Ho, it’s off to work I go!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You can do it! Some days you'll hate it...but, you can do it. If you can work the schedule, do 4 - 10 hr. That way, 3 days at home. Too many long day with no rest & you're no good to/for anyone or anything. You need rest & time to do your own things. :old

Listen up. Less is more in this case. I work some long days but only a week, then time at home, then another stretch. You'll be good about a month of long days -- then not. So space it out. Yeah, it's about age 🤣. Also depends on the work you'll be doing. But getting home so tired you can't check animals is guilt, stress, bad ... Plus could be worse.

Go to work, just watch your limits. :idunno:hugs

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You can do it! Some days you'll hate it...but, you can do it. If you can work the schedule, do 4 - 10 hr. That way, 3 days at home. Too many long day with no rest & you're no good to/for anyone or anything. You need rest & time to do your own things. :old

Listen up. Less is more in this case. I work some long days but only a week, then time at home, then another stretch. You'll be good about a month of long days -- then not. So space it out. Yeah, it's about age 🤣. Also depends on the work you'll be doing. But getting home so tired you can't check animals is guilt, stress, bad ... Plus could be worse.

Go to work, just watch your limits. :idunno:hugs
Ummm, nope. It’s 5 days a week, no weekends or nights. Off Christmas and Thanksgiving, work most holidays. Plus 8 hours pay plus the actual hours worked on holidays. It’s going to be rough, but I’m motivated. I want a barn and finish fencing.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The drive is usually the least fav part -- means your going to work :lol: today's store was one of furthest for me, 24 miles. Not bad. Winter is the issue with shorter days. Hate to drive at night on country roads, deer everywhere....chores by headlamp.🤪

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm really really sad that its an hour drive to and fro.
Some years back, when we lived in Livingston, I drove to Houston every day for work, 75 miles. I kept my sanity in the heavy, high speed traffic by using that as my prayer time. I think this is only 56 miles and on long stretches of 2 lane roads through the Pine Forest. I call it tree canyons.