asparagus

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Our co-op has asparagus root crowns and they are pretty decent looking... $25 for 25 in a bunch... so I think that is reasonable... I might go on and get one bunch... Have to see what kind they are... would get a year ahead... and still do some seeds.
That sounds reasonable 👍 and like you said it'll jump a year.

Jesus is Lord and Christ ✝️

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
eating it fresh is the best, i don't even like it cooked much at all, just heated through, no mush for me please. however, i'll also eat it if it is mushy if i have to...

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
😋
Screenshot_20240418_170138_Gallery.jpg

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Again FB asked me "can I mow the asparagus? I'll mow it as high as I can get the deck" My answer: Please don't mow the asparagus until the ferns die back, or else it'll die or loose vigor. I'll let you know when it's OK.

So the powerful itch to mow the asparagus continues :rolleyes:

This is the asparagus row, some of the ferns are a good 7 foot tall and swaying in the wind. And this spring we get to harvest at will 😋 She'll be happy she didn't mow it because she's been waiting for golden rod for tea. You can see there's some golden rod growing along with the asparagus. I guess she didn't see the golden rod. Then she'll be happy again this spring because she'll get eat some tasty martha washington asparagus.
Screenshot_20240907_200916_Gallery.jpg

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That's a huge row of asparagus!!! 😳
We'll keep it 4 x 100 foot with the mower. But to just think... it all started with a couple packets of small dead seeds. I can only imagine what the root mass looks like under ground.