Beeswax....question

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Is all beeswax on the market ...food grade? I will be making some comfrey salve...with olive oil and beeswax....but, I have 2 different shipments now. Just curious if anyone would have any thoughts on that. Thank you in advance.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I've never heard of any non food grade myself :hu

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
When I ordered beeswax some time ago the place had 2 different grades - one had been cleaned more for using in cosmetics, and the cheaper sort was to be used for candles and such. I imagine that it is all *food grade*, just that some has fewer impurities. I ordered from these people http://naturalcrafts.glorybee.com/ but my computer is acting up at present, and I'm having trouble navigating their site, so can't find the specific reference. Also, they might have changed their products, as it has been awhile since I ordered.

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Well, I ordered one online...for cosmetics I think. It was pearlized...little pieces. The other, a small block we found at Hobby Lobby the other day. It was kind of in the candle section.....maybe I can mix the 2. It didn't specify the grade...and HL doesn't have that big of a soapers section.

:frow @ marianne

Brooke Kilby

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Really most of it should be food grade and even if it is not marked specifically as such I do not see any reason why it would not be able to be used regardless.

I purchased beeswax from a local farm and they told me the grade they sold was for candles only and cosmetics, not food grade, but the owner mentioned it was because of a liability issue and really it is fine just with a few more impurities. I think they may have to pay for licensing to have it labeled as food grade and were not willing to for the extra cost so they mark it that way but it can actually be used any way you want. However if you do not know the source it might be a different story depending on how large their operation is. However most of the products I have seen in the stores are food grade.

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
It was just a curiosity, really. I didn't know if candle grade would be that much different than cosmetic grade. Thanks for the input.:)

Leta

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hrm. This is a very good question. I can't see why it wouldn't be food grade, but it's not actually food. Well, not people food, anyway. All wax is a fat that is unable to be metabolized by the human gut.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
My opinion is that it would be worth trying to find wax from treatment-free hives, as loads of chemicals end up in the wax otherwise. The only reason I can imagine wanting "food-grade" beeswax would be for lip balm, of which 50% ends up in our bellies, or so they say...