Building a new herd (video)

RoseTeas

Power Conserver
Reaction score
What information did you want?

They are WAY faster and easier to butcher and process than chickens.
I raised a couple with my daughter years ago. Today however approaching with meat in mind, a little overwhelmed with basics of getting started. For instance... where do I buy quality cages that are large enough? Local mindset is, why not go shoot a wild rabbit or nobody eats rabbits! :)

RoseTeas

Power Conserver
Reaction score
In fact have several questions Before cages. I was thinking mounting cages up where I can care for them, but I'm seeing folks talk about rabbit 'tractors'. How do you keep them from coming down with (can't remember which desease)? Have followed Teal Homestead a bit

Alaskan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
In fact have several questions Before cages. I was thinking mounting cages up where I can care for them, but I'm seeing folks talk about rabbit 'tractors'. How do you keep them from coming down with (can't remember which desease)? Have followed Teal Homestead a bit
I have no idea how you would keep a rabbit in a tractor! Rabbits dig! :idunno Maybe a tractor with a wire bottom.... But tractors are a pain to move about, unless you have a good 4-wheeler or tractor....

I would mount cages up on a wall, at a height easy for you to work with. And I would buy the wire and make them yourself.

And yes, if you have a bunch of wild rabbits, sure... eat those... but usually they are much smaller than domestic ones... and at times they can be wormy.

If you want free meat, then trap wild pigs! Have you looked at @baymule 's journal? She is getting so much pig meat!!! :drool

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I definitely recommend the hanging wire cages. Easier to clean. I wouldn’t put domestic rabbits on the ground. It sounds all natural and touchy feely, but they dig. Plus they fight.

RoseTeas

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I have no idea how you would keep a rabbit in a tractor! Rabbits dig! :idunno Maybe a tractor with a wire bottom.... But tractors are a pain to move about, unless you have a good 4-wheeler or tractor....

I would mount cages up on a wall, at a height easy for you to work with. And I would buy the wire and make them yourself.

And yes, if you have a bunch of wild rabbits, sure... eat those... but usually they are much smaller than domestic ones... and at times they can be wormy.

If you want free meat, then trap wild pigs! Have you looked at @baymule 's journal? She is getting so much pig meat!!! :drool
Oh my!!