Cherry Pie Filling

gettinaclue

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm sure this is a very silly question - but having never really used cherries all that much - and what I did use was store bought...

I want to make a cherry crisp for the family and want to use fresh cherries instead of the canned goo at the store...

Any recommendations/recipes?

Yes, I know we don't have cherries in season yet...but it's never to soon to plan :D

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Simplest thing is to mix the pitted cherries with "some" sugar, toss in a Tbsp or two of minute tapioca to absorb any excess juice, and bake in the crust.

There are more complex recipes but the above works fine for me, as a general rule for pretty much any kind of pie-makin' fruit :)

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Jamsoundsgood

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
What she said, cornstarch works too, only not as well I think. I will sometimes mix it up on the stove if I haven't done it for a while or I'm not really comfortable with it until it looks like the canned goo. That way you can also check to see if it's sweet enough for you and adjust it. I think I have some frozen cherries tucked away, now I have to try this. I don't know whether to blame you or kiss you. :D

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
not exactly what you asked for but......

http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipes/2047

CHERRY CLAFOUTI
cherryclafouti.jpg

Serves 6
A clafouti tastes like a cross between a pancake and a custard and is easier to make than both. It can be thrown together at the last minute with readily available ingredients. Try with berries, sliced peaches, nectarines or apricots when in season.

Ingredients
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 eggs
1 cup milk
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 pound frozen cherries, thawed and thoroughly drained
2 tablespoons powdered sugar

Method
Preheat oven to 375F.

Whisk together sugar, flour and salt. Whisk in eggs one at a time. Whisk in milk and vanilla, just until incorporated.

Arrange cherries evenly in the bottom of a buttered 9-inch pie plate or dish. Pour the batter over the cherries and bake for about 45 minutes, until clafouti is puffed and browned. Sift powdered sugar over top and cut into 6 wedges.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
With any type of fruit, I mix on the stove top fruit of choice, a bit of water, some sugar, and bring to a boil. Taste for sweetness, and adjsut as necessary. Then starting with a small amount of cornstarch, thicken until you get the right consistency. You can always add more sugar and cornstarch, but you can't take it away, so always start with a small amount. for blueberries, I also add a bit of lemon juice too, not sure about cherries, but you might need to add some to that also.

ducks4you

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Cherry Pie Filling
(Originally from Better Homes & Gardens Cookbook, circa 1980--they have CHANGED many of their recipes, including this one)
Ingredients:
2 cans tart cherries (or equivalent)
1 1/2 cups sugar
8 tablespoons cornstarch
1 tablespoon butter (don't substitute with marjarine--this makes your "candy" in the filling)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Make crust, unbaked, two crusts, or one bottom and top cut and laced.
Drain juice from cherries. Save 3/4 cup of juice. Mix 3/4 cup sugar and all cornstarch in a dry pot. Measure and set aside 3/4 sugar and butter, together. Add cherry juice to sugar and cornstarch. Cook on medium high, being careful to stir constantly. After it starts to thicken it will quickly gel and resemble candy. Remove from heat and add remaining sugar and butter. Return to burner until mixed. Pour immediately into unbaked crust. Cover with top crust. This pie filling is ready to eat. You only need to bake the crust in order to finish. Bake for 30-45 minutes, until crust is brown. This is VERY hot, so let it cool before serving. Tastes great with vanilla ice cream.

BTW, I lost my page, so I've been making it for a decade now for holidays from memory. ALWAYS a hit!