Favourite ways to cook kale

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I guess I am in the minority. I've been happily eating kale and spinach salads for the last 6 weeks. I take the young leaves, and slice them thinly, add to spinach, maybe slice a raw turnip in there, and add a nice red wine vinaigrette.

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Kale chips are great. But I grow dino kale, aka tuscan kale, aka lacinato kale, for ribollita . I use recipes in Italian, but it's a great use of Kale.

One trick is to toss the kale into the freezer until you're ready to use it. It breaks down the fibers so it cooks faster, easier, and just kinda mellows it out nicely.

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
I love Portuguese kale soup! My SO introduced it to me from her family. I had never eaten kale until I met this soup :lol: Now I go out and pick it and munch it on the walk up to the house.

Beef stock
Chiorise or Linguica (or really, any hard style sausage/pepperoni things I should think. Although, I love Linguica)
Beans- we use my pinto beans grown last year
Potatoes- add after the beans so they don't cook into mush
Stew beef- this is a family disagreement- her aunt always adds it, her grandmother never used it
Onion, garlic, paprika (this may just be my SO's addition since she loves paprika) to taste.

Cook until beans are softening, add the potatoes and as much kale as you can fit into the pot- it will cook down.

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
I love kale soup similar to Valmom's. We don't add the stew meat.

We also love: White Bean and Kale Gratin

6 whole kale leaves
3 cloves garlic thinly sliced
30 oz (2 cans) white beans
6 oz (1 Cup) sharp cheddar grated
1 T tamari
tsp white pepper
Salt
C chopped almonds

Preheat oven to 350*. Wash kale & remove heavy stems. Fill 3 qt saucepan with water and bring to boil. Blanch kale for 1 2 min until it turns bright green. Immediately remove and rinse in ice cold water, drain, and let cool. Coarsely chop kale and set aside.

Saute garlic in olive oil over med. heat until it browns.

Combine all ingredients in large bowl and mix thoroughly. Place in a sprayed or greased 1 qt casserole dish. Sprinkle with almonds and bake for 20 min.

OrganicKale

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Oh, the gratin sounds amazing. I am always hunting for kale recipes. :)

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
My new favorite trick for finding a recipe is to go to a site like allrecipes.com and put the main ingredient in the search engine. I'm usually drooling over several ideas in about 30 seconds!