Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ouch on the head bump! I know that hurt!
I’m glad you got to enjoy the grands, just not long enough.
Sounds like a good recovery after surgery, keep up the home therapy. Will he go to a therapy center or continue at home?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ouch on the head bump! I know that hurt!
It did hurt! I had to be a big girl for the grands though, lol.

We had planned to get a whole bunch of chores done, but it didn't happen. That's ok though - I don't want to see them just so they can do farm chores.

For the first time the pond got some serious fishing pressure. I'm pleased to say that it didn't disappoint. Everyone who wet a line caught fish. Bass and bluegill and even one small catfish. GD went out early yesterday, while I was still getting DH fed and settled in for the morning, and she caught 8 fish before I even got out there.

Today I will be stretching some water hoses out to the pond. We've not had rain for weeks and weeks. The pond level has dropped considerably. No where near drying up, but I'm worried about the oxygenation right now. I'll set a hose up to spray water where it disturbs the surface and adds some oxygen. Kind of along the lines of a fountain, but without the cost of installing a fountain. The only good thing about the level dropping is that I was able to get the mower closer than I've been able before. GS finished up with some weed whacking and now we've got a totally cleared area around one side. It's really nice.

Sounds like a good recovery after surgery, keep up the home therapy. Will he go to a therapy center or continue at home?
The first few days after surgery were baaaaaad. I kept thinking "what have we done?" But, with tiny, incremental improvements he's finally able to move his legs fairly well. They're not really getting "stuck" to the floor as they were previously. He needs to concentrate on taking evenly spaced steps. He tends to take a good step with the right foot but only brings the left foot even with the right, instead of stepping ahead. The worst problem we're dealing with is his balance. He has no awareness of whether he's upright or "listing" to one side, or even worse, backwards. I keep a PT Gait belt on him. I can help keep him steadier that way. He's not allowed to walk without me being right with him. He broke the rule a couple days ago - grrrrr. We have a follow-up appt. Monday and we'll talk about PT at that time. Preferably, we can get home based PT again to start.

I need to force myself to list some goats this morning. I really need to move a few out of here. I'm such a procrastinator and I kind of hate the whole selling process. Wish we had a close auction barn..

Need to get DH fed so I can get outside and get started. I've got 15 bags of feed waiting to be unloaded. It can wait until I have another cup of coffee.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yesterday was a good day for outside work. Bright and sunny, but not terribly hot. I got another raised bed cleaned out and ready for planting. I have some savoy cabbage plants and more broccoli to go in there. I already have some "normal" cabbage and some baby broccoli in the ground. Also got a tub planted with potatoes. I'd like to get some greens tucked in somewhere.

Saw the big guy breeding one of the does again today. That's another one that didn't "catch" when I thought. I'm gonna have a bunch of spread-out kidding dates. I guess I shouldn't complain about that. It will be what it will be, lol.

Today we have a follow-up with the Neurosurgeon. DH has had good days and bad. Friday was great - yesterday not so much. He fell against the loveseat yesterday. He got all cocky thinking he was doing so much better and tried to walk by himself while I was in the kitchen fixing his lunch. I heard a huge crash and my heart dropped. He fell so hard that he shoved the loveseat about 18 inches away from him and knocked everything off of the end table that sits at the other end of the loveseat. He fell right on his butt and he's really sore. His head bopped the arm of the loveseat - thankfully not on his incision site. It scared me so much that I ordered this:

Soft Elder Protective Hat Head Safety Helmet Ear Fall Prevention for Old Man(Gray)​

I love how it's specifically indicated for "old man!" :lol:

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Bone headed men give us ladies almosta heart attacks!

I finally broke down and bought a super bag of feed. I had to scoop it all out into buckets and dump in metal trash cans, but well worth it. Saved me $100. It figured out to 16 cents per pound versus the bagged feed at $12.75 per 50 # or 25 cents per pound.