Help!!!!!

farmerEd

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Hi
I think I've a problem
I killed a batch of chickens and hung them in a semi commercial fridge. Was going to clean them out tonight and make them oven ready before freezing them. Problem is my fridge has been too cold and frozen them solid. I've always been told its not wise to thaw and re freeze what's my best way to salvage the situation?
Thaw, clean out, cook and freeze the cooked meat?
Don't want to loose 7 10lb birds

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Hi
I think I've a problem
I killed a batch of chickens and hung them in a semi commercial fridge. Was going to clean them out tonight and make them oven ready before freezing them. Problem is my fridge has been too cold and frozen them solid. I've always been told its not wise to thaw and re freeze what's my best way to salvage the situation?
Thaw, clean out, cook and freeze the cooked meat?
Don't want to loose 7 10lb birds

Id thaw and clean them. It reduces meat quality to refreeze, but once shouldn't be noticeable. Don't want to leave guts and bacteria in there.

Chickens should be cleaned immediately to make it easier before the rigor mortis sets in.

Yes, I know in some places that hunted birds are left to hang fully intact to let the meat tenderize. I just prefer my rotting more controlled and with less bacteria having opportunities to make the meat go bad.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
How did it go?
We all learn from each other. In the future, pick the feathers off and gut. Then if you want to hang, take it from there. I raise meat chickens in the spring. I kill, pick, gut, then pack on ice. I then have a couple of days to process them for the freezer. And wash, wash, wash them!