I need natural toothpaste help!

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
oregonchick said:
Thanks for your help everyone!! :D I am trying to get away from flouride and the Spearmint Tom's of Maine at my local WalMart has flouride in it :( . I am currently using the peppermint flavor. I usually like peppermint! I think I will try the baking soda/salt recipe and see how I like that.
Has anyone noticed having bad breath? I am afraid of that as I am a massage therapist and don't want to run off my clients!!!
I have only ever been accused of having morning breath, but you do brush your tongue and sides of your mouth too--right? You could always follow with a swish of listerine--or a generic listerine substitute. (the other mouthwashes are garbage and do more harm than good)

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
oregonchick said:
Thanks for your help everyone!! :D I am trying to get away from flouride and the Spearmint Tom's of Maine at my local WalMart has flouride in it :( . I am currently using the peppermint flavor. I usually like peppermint! I think I will try the baking soda/salt recipe and see how I like that.
Has anyone noticed having bad breath? I am afraid of that as I am a massage therapist and don't want to run off my clients!!!
Another MT!!! I think that makes three! Welcome to the forum! :)

Soybean

Power Conserver
Reaction score
What is bad about flouride? I currently use a flouride toothpaste but I'm looking to make my own natural toothpaste.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Soybean said:
What is bad about flouride? I currently use a flouride toothpaste but I'm looking to make my own natural toothpaste.
Here are a few articles of light reading:

http://www.greaterthings.com/Lexicon/F/Fluoride.htm

http://www.lovethetruth.com/truth_about_fluoride.htm

http://www.nofluoride.com/

The other side of the story....a clear propaganda plug, if I've ever heard one! >>>>>

http://www.fluorideinfo.org/

In the end, one chooses what they want to believe.

Me? God made water fine the way it is, if our diet is balanced we should be consuming anough calcium for tooth development, and I don't trust any substance the government forcefully places in our water or food supplies. I even buy non-iodized salt. ;)

Soybean

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Thanks for the links. I will give them a read. I've been wanting to use a more natural toothpaste even before I heard of all this stuff about flouride.

Not to hi-jack the thread but can you use the gray water of brushing your teeth for watering plants if the baking soda is in there?

donnaitaliana

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
i use natural soap, olive oil based usually, you could buy toothsoap, but it is very expensive, i use baking soda/sea salt/powdered cinnamon once a week for stains etc.
ciao
d
xx

jfarms

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I remember my grandmother using baking soda to brush her teeth with.. and once in awhile when she would find a sweetgum tree... she would cut some some twigs to make her little brushes to clean her teeth with..when she past away at the age of 88 she still had all her teeth....yeap ...pretty smart woman my grandmother.:)

hennypenny9

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks for this reminder. When I'm done with my current toothpaste, I'm going to a non-fluoride one. Even the site that is pro-fluoride makes no sense. Under the subheading that asked if fluoride is bad for you, it doesn't say flat out "no" it just says that the Food and Drug Administration does NOT monitor fluoride in water. Yaaaay.

For fear of going off, topic, I will be picking up a natural toothpaste soon. :)

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
donnaitaliana said:
i use natural soap, olive oil based usually, you could buy toothsoap, but it is very expensive, i use baking soda/sea salt/powdered cinnamon once a week for stains etc.
ciao
d
xx
Welcome , d. That cinnamon powder sounds good. Is it just like what you cook with??

When my dh was diagnosed with the big C my health food guru Auntie wanted to know why we were poising ourselves with fluoride. We were actually ordering fluoridated h2o for the kids to drink.

I think it's just another case of every thing in moderation.

On another topic, epsom salt is a natural diuretic, should we use it on our teeth??

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Has anybody tried this stuff? I'm curious to hear..

http://toothsoap.com/index.php?page=shop-tooth-soap-liquid-with-organic-honey

My friend said that her and her brother use it and they like it, but it is spendy, she said it lasted them both two months.
My teeth have absolutly no enamle, which is a curse it seems. I never really took much care of my teeth.. until a couple years ago. I stopped drinking pop and started brushing regularly, but my teeth got much much worse.

I ended up going to the dentist (who, I must add is a complete lunatic and he likes to make fun of others' fear/disapointment), and he stuck the syringe in a total of 4 times the first day I visited him, and ten times the second day I visited him. He filled up the bad spots with whatever they call it, but by two months later it had fallen out. I've noticed another bad spot, and I actually chipped one of my back teeth the other month.

I would prefer to keep all my teeth.. but its probably a hopeless cause.