I rolled my own Homemade Incubator :-)

Elwood Lightfoot

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
This is my first attempt at building an incubator and an egg turner I recycled an old fridge and a bunch of other scrap metal and parts I had laying around the parts I did need to buy totaled just under $50.00.

I did a lot of research on it before constructing I think it turned out well, This post is showing some of the steps to build and the first hatch, Not a great % I hatched 3 chicks and all three have survived but it does work and I had several bugs to work out during the hatch which I believe caused the majority of the eggs to fail see my page for what I will change and do differently for the next run
http://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=48473

I took a bit of time to make this wiring diagram it I hope this is easy to underdstand and might help someone out,

My first hatch!!

Second one the next day for three total so I know the Iron Hen Works I decided to place the chicks with my broody hen instead of in the brooder and she is doing well with them :)

This was the most fun recycling project I've done in a while :)

mrscoyote

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wow, that is impressive. Best of luck perfecting it.
Nancy

Elwood Lightfoot

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Just thought I would add an update but my incubator is the winner of the BYC 2010 Homemade Incubator contest, I WON! I WON! :)How cool is that!

clkingtx

Power Conserver
Reaction score
That is an awesome incubator, great job! Congratulations on winning the contest. I may have missed it, but how do you provide fresh air exchange? Hope your next hatches turn out great!

Carrie

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Nice 'bator! Congratulations on winning. From what I can see, you deserved it! :)