Intergrating the flock

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
My chicks are old enough to go in w/the main flock. Right now, they're on a mix of grower/finisher feed and the layer feed. Once that's gone, which should be later in the week, they'll be ready to go w/the rest of my birds. But, I've never mixed 2 groups of birds B4. Every time B4, it's been just a single bird and there's never been a problem. But this time, I'll be adding 6 pullets to 5 adult birds. Am I going to be OK just opening the door between the 2 groups, or do I need to do more? And, should I keep an eye on them for a few days to be sure they'll be OK? Is it OK to let the pullets out to free range, or should I give them a few days first? Any help you can give would be appreciated.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Yeah just open the door to let them mingle....free ranging, let the pullets get used to the coop first. I never have problems integrating....

mississippifarmboy

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Our's all free range pretty much every day, so when I mix new birds with old I put the young birds in the coop during the night then just turn them all out together early the next morning. I seldom have any serious problems doing it that way. There will be a little fussing until the pecking order gets established, but it usually goes ok as long as they have room to get away from each other.

The only time I ever see any serious fighting is when they don't have room to get away from the aggressors (Like mixing them in a small pen) or if I throw grown roosters out in the yard together. Even then, it is just a matter of days until everyone knows who is head rooster.

Good luck!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yep - what they said. 'Specially about putting them together at night first....Might be a few scuffles - but they should work it out in a day or so. Good luck!

Denim Deb

Reaction score
I'll probably wait until Saturday night and give them all day Sunday to see how they do. Then, sometime next week, open the door and let them free range.

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We usually do not do anything special for the young chicks in our flock. We never separate them from the others from birth to adult. Momma usually takes pretty good care of the little ones and she'll take them out to free range when they are very small. But we hatch our own chicks and don't buy them. So there is always a mommy to care for them. I don't know how we would do it if we brought in a new batch of tiny ones from somewhere else.

Well, now that I think about it, when our youngest child was still at home he bought 12 chicks and raised them in a wooden box until they were about two months old. Then he tossed them into the flock and they did OK. Wow! That was a long time ago. I'm getting old :)

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I add my new birds to the existing flock in the evening as well. I usually put them directly on the roost after every one is up for the night. Makes the morning after easier.

good luck,

g

Denim Deb

Reaction score
I don't really have a roost in there. Maybe I need to put them on the roof?

Latest posts