Last creepy meat question, I promise!

Avalon1984

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
lorihadams said:
Yep....kill them now before they kick the bucket on ya. :D
Id have to agree. Process now. I am terribly slow at processing and did 2 yesterday in under 2 hours right after work. You can do it! :thumbsup

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
I've got a call in for my neighbor "Mr. Ben" as we speak. (He does the killing part for me...YUP I'm a huge wimp. I'll give them back to him fully dressed the next day. They are on the smaller side and he lives alone.)

Thanks everyone for holding my hand!!! :hugs

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
The cornish crosses we raised this year were on the small side. I let them free range in the goat pen and they didn't get that much to eat. It was a disappointment when we butchered them. I even put them in a small pen for the last week or so and fed them plenty. But they tasted good anyway!
I am glad we also have red broilers, they seem to do much better free ranging. We still need to butcher them. SO has been off hunting every morning for deer, so we haven't had the time to send them to freezer camp.
I don't think I want to raise cornish crosses again. They are too much of a pain, they stink, are filthy and I hate seeing their deformed little bodies trying to manage a life. It felt more like a mercy killing at butchering time. And we never manage to do the butchering at the correct time :rolleyes:

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I was pleasantly surprised by the CX and my experience with them was great. I'd do it again in heartbeat...I just finished the last bird last week and we had given away quite a few of the fatties, let alone ate on them all year. Mine were beautiful and healthy until butchering day, foraged right up until the end and looked great inside and out when processed.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
Will do free. :D

What do I do if two won't get up anymore? Should I process them now? (I've been hand watering and feeding them all day now.)
Ummm. I hate to point out the obvious, but. have you read your title? And now two more questions??????? Dear BBH, you broke your promise

:gig

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
big brown horse said:
Will do free. :D

What do I do if two won't get up anymore? Should I process them now? (I've been hand watering and feeding them all day now.)
Ummm. I hate to point out the obvious, but. have you read your title? And now two more questions??????? Dear BBH, you broke your promise

:gig
:lol: I was soo hoping you guys wouldn't count my questions!! LOL!!! I needed that laugh! LOL