Maple Syrup

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Sugar maples will give the sweetest syrup... there are different types of maples.

Read anything about the size and number of taps... do not over do the tree.

Don't know about your climate there. You have to have freezing weather, then as the days start to warm above freezing the sap will flow... best if nights go back down to the freezing temp range... but days of increasing sun and warmth....
Sap flow here in Va last year started in early Feb and we were done before the first of March... several weeks early.

Early sap will produce highest grade and mildest taste.. later will produce what used to be called Grade B here... strong flavored and mostly used for cooking... unless you have grown up with it then usually preferred. Now they call the grades different but it goes from lightest to darkest.

40 gal sap to make 1 gal syrup and it takes constant cooking it down slowly to not scorch it... there are different thoughts and it depends on the % of sugar in the sap... some will do it at 30:1... some as much as 50:1 needed.

Skooterf629

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Sugar maples will give the sweetest syrup... there are different types of maples.

Read anything about the size and number of taps... do not over do the tree.

Don't know about your climate there. You have to have freezing weather, then as the days start to warm above freezing the sap will flow... best if nights go back down to the freezing temp range... but days of increasing sun and warmth....
Sap flow here in Va last year started in early Feb and we were done before the first of March... several weeks early.

Early sap will produce highest grade and mildest taste.. later will produce what used to be called Grade B here... strong flavored and mostly used for cooking... unless you have grown up with it then usually preferred. Now they call the grades different but it goes from lightest to darkest.

40 gal sap to make 1 gal syrup and it takes constant cooking it down slowly to not scorch it... there are different thoughts and it depends on the % of sugar in the sap... some will do it at 30:1... some as much as 50:1 needed.
Thank you for the tips!

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Sigh... I keep forgetting about ordering taps.

I've not tried to make maple syrup so I have zero experience. I did study the topic some and I recall the maximum yield is 40 to 1. So 40 gallons of sap will yield a maximum of 1 gallon of finished syrup. I have a 300 gallon tote on a trailer I use as a water buffalo during the summer. That's what I plan to use to gather up sap. If I could get a 100 gallons to boil I might could get 2 gallons of syrup, maybe a little less. That's a awful lot of boiling and I would need a big stack of firewood for the boil.

Jesus is Lord and Christ ✝️

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I don't have any big leaf maples unfortunately. I've thought about grabbing cuttings off trees out in town so I can plant some.

All I know is that it takes more sap from the big leaf maple because it doesn't have as much sugar content as the sugar maple.

You can also tap birch which also takes a lot more sap to cook down. It tastes different but is very good. And expensive if you can find a place that actually sells it.

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Maple syrup here runs in the $45-65 range for a gallon..I think it was $54 last year most places.... smaller amounts are proportionately higher due to having a "set amount of cost for packaging"....

I have had Birch, and walnut, and one other kind, I am thinking it was poplar..... Birch is very mild and Walnut has a distinct heartier flavor...

If you buy it by the gallon as I do, keep it in the fridge after opening so that you do not get a little mold on the top.... it will get some "harder" crystilization sometimes... store in a GLASS jar, and like honey, you can warm it and some of it will easily redissolve....
You can get maple candy by cooking it down A LOT MORE.... and maple "granulated sugar" to use.. but it is also very expensive.