MEAT BIRDS THREAD ~Plans, pics, pens, pluckers, processing! GRAPHIC!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I'm going to feed them chick starter to begin...they go through that pretty quickly. Then I will give them what I normally give my layers in the winter months...mixed whole grains. When you buy them in bulk and mix your own, it becomes much cheaper than buying bagged feeds. The whole grains seem to slow them down a little, fill them sooner, sustain them longer, IMO.

I might add a little OS to that so their bones and muscles will stay strong. Last time they had layer ration mixed in but I don't have a layer flock right now so I won't be buying that. It's a little pricier than the mixed grains.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm going to check the exact name in the morning, but its the table top model for 350. It takes some getting used to, but after a few birds, you just know how to hold them and pass them. My plucker is all red, if that tells you anything. I'm not that high tech to know how to post pics yet. Ya'll lucky. If I did, ya'll would all have to see everything I do
Beekissed said:
:lol: Which one did you get? Can you post a pic? I always worry that the drum style pluckers beat around the chicken too much...what is your take on that?

The shipping cost is why I hope to find my CX at TSC instead of ordering through the mail. I just can't see my way through to paying that much shipping....but, in the long run, even with the shipping cost added on I am still getting off cheaper than buying an equivalent meat elsewhere.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I called TSC to see just what they will be getting in and the gal couldn't tell me anything! Said they never know what amount or what kind they are getting, they just get these shipments willy-nilly and they never know before hand what they will receive! What a way to run a business.... :rolleyes:

They won't have any idea on pricing either until the end of Feb. so I guess this month will be spent building the coop/shelter, buying feed, building waterers of choice, etc. I'll post pics of the building and finished products as I go along.

They get their chicks from several hatcheries but primarily from Mt. Healthy...anyone experienced with that hatchery?

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I'll look forward to following this thread but I will most likely be doing Freedom Rangers. They were fantastic last year. I mail ordered 50 from Penn they were delivered to my front door by the mail man all happy and healthy.

I only lost one out of 50 about 6 weeks in.

Not sure when I will start this year. I will probably do 50 again.

I fattest girls finished at 14 weeks only because I did the last 7 all on my own. Plucking and all.

I have been trying to get my dh to build me the Whizbang plucker. I actually found a motor on CL the other day. I need to start collecting parts. I'm not plucking 50 birds this year. It was torture.

g

ps Bee, my dog likes to hang out and eat chicken feet while we butcher. :p

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Gina, how good were the finishing weights on your FR? And how did the cost compare when ordering the chicks? I've heard they were somewhat different than the CX and the hardiness and foraging sure does appeal to me but the cost may be prohibitive.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I was looking around for the notes I made on the birds this morning. I couldn't find them. :barnie I know with the chick cost, the shipping and food I averaged out at about 1 buck per pound. I checked prices on the website this morning, they seem high. Not sure if the prices or more or if I'm just more frugal this year. :hu For most of you shipping would probably be much less.

I processed the birds in 3 batches. 12 weeks, 13 weeks and I think 14. The first ones weighed in at the 4 to 4 1/2 lb range. Kinda small. But the last 7 were bigger girls closer to 6 lbs with gorgeous fat around their necks and insides.

One thing about these birds compared to the Cornish X, they can move. The have big sturdy legs. They were very mobile. I probably could have let them go longer. This year I just might.

My experience with meaties is limited. But I just liked the FR better.

Here's a pic of my dog kennel/holding pen. I'm pretty sure these were the youngest batch. Can you say dead chicken walking???
IMAG0511.jpg

g

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Those are some good looking birds, G! They probably cost more this year...everything does. The CX just seem to be cheaper and more available in my area, which makes them the likely choice this time too. I think I processed mine at 11 wk. and I didn't have any less than 5 lbs and most were 6 and above, with some 7 lbers.

I'm hoping to get them earlier this year so I can process in a cooler month...last time I was killing in July. It wasn't too bad but the birds were starting to seek shade in the middle of the day and only foraging in the morning and evenings. I'd like to raise them in the cooler months so they will forage and be comfortable right up until the end.

peteyfoozer

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Our cornishX were raised outside the coop with the Maremmas guarding, so they got lots of exercise and did a lot of eating grass and bugs. They only got chicken feed at night. We processed them at 8 weeks exactly and they were all over 4 lbs, most over 5. I think we saved a lot of $ on feed, because of the little foraging they did. I was pretty happy with ours, no leg problems at all. We only lost one, to a drowning :ep

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I was pretty pleased with mine too, Petey. After killing and eating DP breeds all my life, processing the CX were a revelation...particularly after seeing just how much meat was on their bodies compared to the typical yard bird at that age. It was impressive!

I was also amazed at how little smell there was during processing....the stinkiest birds ever while alive had very little smell at all during the scalding and eviscerating. And the feathers came off like one was wiping them off instead of plucking. I think my granny would have loved to get her hands on one of them CX!

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I know Bee. I can't tell you how it tempts me to try to 'breed' my own from the cornish and white rocks, but I can't remember which one has to be the roo and which the hen, plus I know everyone says,"Its impossible." It is discouraging to process a RIR after doing a few Cornish Xs. I do it because....what else I'm going to do with it? Its just a little extra benifit I insist upon to be able to keep my poultry project profitable. I would like a more sustainable meat bird that I could raise from my own eggs though.