New Member Introductions - Questions

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
True, right there. Potatoes grew & stored well...every meal had potatoes ! 😋 Mom had me peel 😳 I still would rather not do that 🤣🤣🤣

potatoes, onions, homemade bread, bacon grease for butter - those were common things Grandma said they were always able to have during the depression. sweet corn in season and other vegetables and of course plenty of tomatoes.

with regular crop rotations through the various plant families you can often avoid depleting the soil so much, but for sure one of the big things that permaculture includes is a return to the soil and diversity, but also being able to use animals in pretty regulated ways so that they too are bringing in nutrients and also being returned the the land when there is anything left from being eaten. our current methods of shipping our wastes to a treatment plant many miles away and then wasting all those nutrients feeding bacteria and then burning the gas to generate electricity (all that water!) is really not a circular system. i'm glad to say that most of the food waste here is used here and not put in the trash. we pay a lot of money for it so might as well get the most use out of it. sorry, preaching to the choir... :)

topnot

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I have lived in north central North Carolina all my life . live on a 50 acre farm . have had cows but none now . I have about 50 chickens. and a garden . farm is mainly A tree farm. I am semi retired from the refrigeration field. I enjoy woodworking.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have lived in north central North Carolina all my life . live on a 50 acre farm . have had cows but none now . I have about 50 chickens. and a garden . farm is mainly A tree farm. I am semi retired from the refrigeration field. I enjoy woodworking.

Welcome to the group! Just jump right in