Official SS Poll: What's your go-to fall harvest?

What's your go-to fall harvest?

• Pumpkins

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Carrots

• Butternut squash

• Potatoes

• Sweet Potatoes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Kale

• Brussels Sprouts

• Spinach

• Beets

• Cabbage

• Total voters

SS Project Manager

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
As the air cools and the leaves start to change, fall brings with it an abundance of fresh harvests from the garden. Whether you're filling your pantry with root veggies, leafy greens, or hearty squashes, everyone has their favorite fall crop to rely on.

We want to know—what's your go-to fall harvest? Cast your vote and let’s see what’s filling baskets and root cellars this season!

What's your go-to fall harvest?

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Moved 2 years ago, still haven’t cleared a spot for a garden. But there’s plenty of feral hogs and a neighbor has a hog trap. So I guess my fall crop is feral hog meat. LOL

So far, I’ve gotten 5 young hogs. I processed 3 on Saturday. After skinning, cutting off head and feet, gutting and deboning all the meat, I got 21 pounds of meat. I made it into sausage, ground meat and cubed up meat for stir fry or whatever.

IMG_7135.jpeg

Backstrap or loin. This would be the eye of a pork chop if it wasn’t boneless. The ligaments on the top is called silverskin and is extremely tough and chewy. I slide a sharp knife under it and cut it off the meat.

IMG_7138.jpeg

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
A filet knife works well! That's some good looking meat. And free! 😁 The AGHs I raised were a little darker red -- no "other white meat" in them :lol:

This year no winter garden...so hot/so long in prime production time that fruits "cooked" on the plant, even with watering, this summer. Got some yield, not usual amounts.

BUT normally all the greens, cabbage, beets, etc.