Poll on laundry soap

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
1. What is your favorite homemade laundry soap recipe?
I much prefer a dry laundry soap recipe.

Gee Whiz Laundry Soap

1 cup grated basic soap
... I use a homemade lye soap called Homesteaders Soap (lard based and cheap to make)
1 cup borax (20 mule team)
1 cup washing soda
cup baking soda

Basically just use a food processor to combine soap and borax then mix rest in well.

2. What is your least favorite homemade laundry soap recipe?

I don't like the liquid version nearly as much. It takes too much storage space and does not store for as long a time.

3. What is your favorite store-bought laundry soap?

It has been a LONG time ... Oxydol

4. Have you ever had any of these gunk up or damage your washing machine?

Never

5. Have you converted friends and family to your choice of laundry soap?I use the powdered version of homemade laundry soap.

Hubby definitely! My D1 likes it. Several people at work have asked for the recipe but I don't know if they use it for sure or not.

the4heathernsmom

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
o.k. no prob I am going to school so I am off and on the computer but I check in frequently! Thanks!

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
:welcome

If I have stains on my clothes I often use a bar of either a laundry soap (like zote or fels) or my lye soap and just get the spot wet then rub with the soap bar BEFORE placing in the washer.

I also use bleach with the whites when necessary.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
4heathers--- I use a front loader and this is the soap I use.

Washing Powder
2 cups borax
2 cups washing soda (box will say Arm & Hammer in big letters, washing soda in small letters)
1 cup colour safe bleach
1 bar laundry soap. (use food processor to save fingers)

I find that I usualy use two table spoons for a white load, one for a dark load. Pretreat all stains prior to washing. (normal dirt markings are ok to leave) The colour safe bleach, I find, makes a big difference--some people put in oxyclean too. right now I pretreat with spray nwash, since I have a 4yo 4litre jug.
My whites are still white after using this recipe for over a year. Well as white as they wre before I started using it, I also wash in cold water. Always. I will never go back to storebought laundry detergent.

delia_peterson

Covered in Compost
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
4heathers--- I use a front loader and this is the soap I use.

Washing Powder
2 cups borax
2 cups washing soda (box will say Arm & Hammer in big letters, washing soda in small letters)
1 cup colour safe bleach
1 bar laundry soap. (use food processor to save fingers)

I find that I usualy use two table spoons for a white load, one for a dark load. Pretreat all stains prior to washing. (normal dirt markings are ok to leave) The colour safe bleach, I find, makes a big difference--some people put in oxyclean too. right now I pretreat with spray nwash, since I have a 4yo 4litre jug.
My whites are still white after using this recipe for over a year. Well as white as they wre before I started using it, I also wash in cold water. Always. I will never go back to storebought laundry detergent.
This is the recipe I have been using and it works great! My daughter, neighbour and another friend have been converted and they love it! I have used both Zote and FelsNaptha with good results. And using the vinegar as a fabric softener is perfect! I stayed at a friends last weekend and washed my clothes-then used one of her fabic softener sheets. UGH!!!!!
My clothes smelled terrible! I cant believe I used to use all of that stuff and spent so much money!

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
OK, so I FINALLY dove in, and made my first batch of laundry soap. I could not find the Fels Naptha locally, so I went on a search, online..and found a place called Soaps Gone Buy. I was able to buy a "kit" for makeing laundry soap. This kit contained....
7 bars of Fels Naptha
1 (55 ounce) box of Arm and Hammer Washing Soda
1 76 ounce box of 20 Mule Team borax.
This kit will make 35 gallons of liquid/gel laundry soap..the price!??

$19.95 + shipping..for a total of $32.69
Not bad for 35 gallons!! It also came with several recipes..small/large of the gel...and small/large of the powder laundry soap.
I am washing bed linens tomorrow...I know it smells great!!

the4heathernsmom

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
o.k. I am venturing out today to get my ingredients and will be making my dry soap tonite. I will post again as a newbie to this and share my results !!! Thank you everyone wish me luck!

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
the4heathernsmom said:
o.k. I am venturing out today to get my ingredients and will be making my dry soap tonite. I will post again as a newbie to this and share my results !!! Thank you everyone wish me luck!
Good luck!!!!

calicokat

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Vinegar?? I read that I can add about 4oz. in the rinse to help with odors, but it's fabric softener too?? You ladies are a wealth of knowledge!! THANKS!!