Soap Making 101

krisac

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Ever have one of theose weeks where bathing in the lye solution seems like a good idea because you know what rolls down hill? I'm there

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I just wanna know why hillfarm put bacon on the pink and white one? :hu

hillfarm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
awww, you will find the soap that works for you. Just stay with it. I've rebatched a few and thrown away a few more. Just research your brains out. Others before you have tried and failed and I have learned alot from them.

hillfarm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Emerald said:
Cause bacons awsome.

Naw its dried rose petals. LOL.

krisac

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I have read 5 million web pages that all say different things. One recipe started with 72 oz of goats milk! what does she think I'm using? a cauldron? Others have 1oz of every known oil to man. Ingredients I've never heard of. None of them actually really explain the process at all, but by God they want to make sure yu have saftey goggles and long sleeves. I have read and read. So how does Hillfarm come out with great soap (okay she's using crisco and I'm trying goats milk) I come out with oily oatmeal? What in the name of all that's holy and and JMAJ do I NEED to know. If the goat milk is frozen and the the oils have to melt how do I get them to the same temperature? have I left cold processing? should I move to crock pot? should I mix on the stove? Should I jjust go out nad dance naked under a full moon, I don't really want to it rains a lot here. Does ANYONE have a link with instructions for goats milk soap and BASIC recipe For Goats milk soap that is all I want. reallly. Is that too much to ask? If my daughter can write 2 miilion $ in defense contracts in a month I don't really think so.

hillfarm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Have you tried goat milk melt and pour? :hide

It might be an option. I have never made CP goats milk. I dont have a supplier. So I havent done it. But im pretty sure you want a frozen slush. It turns orange, so maybe plan ahead to make Orange scented soap toexplain away the orange coloring in case it burns. IDK. Just offering my thoughts.

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
hillfarm said:
Emerald said:
Cause bacons awsome.

Naw its dried rose petals. LOL.
Thanks, I just couldn't figure out what that was.. but just think... bacon/maple smelling soap for the manly men in the group.. Think it'd go over well?:p

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
You can simply replace 8 oz of the water in the Crisco recipe with 8 oz of goat milk.

Voila, goat milk soap. I've made that recipe about three times, each time it came out great.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
krisac said:
I suppose my eagerness comes from an open door I don't want to miss. The ladt who made goats milk soap and lotion with VERY dedicated customers has moved out of our shop....Opening...but as fast as our shop fills up someone is going to come in with these products before I can get the jump on it. the customer's looking for goat's milk soap probably are not going to my homemade crisco, lye water, lavender soap. They look at ingredients and it has to at least sound more appealing than that. So yes I'm trying to learn and jumping hurdles at the same time. It's a simple matter of trying to find a way to survive.
In the commercial world they just dress up the name of basic ingredients for example:

Sodium hydroxide = lye Sodium tallowate = lye + beef fat Sodium cocoate = lye + coconut oil

According to Crisco the ingredients of it are: Soy bean oil, fully hydrogenated Palm oil, partially hydrogenated palm and soy bean oils, Mono and Diglycerides, TBHQ and Citric Acid (antioxidants).

So YOUR soap could have an ingredients list that says ... Soy bean oil, Palm oil, Glycerides, Sodium Hydroxide, Lavender and Anti-oxidants. ;)

hillfarm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
:drool ummm maple bacon soap. Id never leave the shower.