the little wild kingdom

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
all those thistle seeds i saw flying in the air last month have become sprouts in the gardens... as i've been picking beans and weeding the past few weeks i've had hundreds of them coming up. got them with my weeding knife - probably missed a few.

high today of 60F and now sunny. this week temperatures going back up to the mid-80sF. rains Thursday night and Friday afternoon. if the forecast holds it's sunny from now until at least Friday.

today is sorting through bean pods that i've just picked to get the wet pods (not fully dried down yet) apart from the dry pods so the dry pods can be put in paper bags and the wet pods need to be spread out and dried before they too can join their brethren in the paper bags. the other reason to do this is to reclaim boxes so i can have yet more pods to sort in a week or two as they finish.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
all those thistle seeds i saw flying in the air last month have become sprouts in the gardens... as i've been picking beans and weeding the past few weeks i've had hundreds of them coming up. got them with my weeding knife - probably missed a few.
That stinks! Glad you're able to work on them and get 'em while they're still small.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
That stinks! Glad you're able to work on them and get 'em while they're still small.

same here, because i know what they're like if they get those roots running all over, in all these rocks that would be no fun at all.

today looks beautiful outside. :) i don't have any major chores lined up other than burying scraps from canning tomatoes and bean sorting - that makes a nice mix for the worms.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i need to get some of the dust bunnies off the floor of this room, plus check for spiders. there's a lot of flats and bags of dry bean pods around so i'll also need to work around all of that.

this is not the time of the year when i normally clean much because of all the dust that happens from bean pods and shelling but there's various spots that really need to be done before this weekend so if i can spend an hour here or there each day this week i'll get them at least improved... i did some spot cleaning about a month ago so it won't be nearly as bad as it could have been, but still i hate cleaning/dusting of any kind.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
September bean shelling season is here, well, sort of, i have a lot more to do, but this is the first small selection of some Lavender and various other outcrosses. i'm glad to see that Flair (a Purple Dove and Lavender outcross) came back along with some others i also hoped will continue to stay true to pattern and colors. some of these need to be seen in sunlight or bright light to really get the layers of the colors that are happening. also the pinkish/reddish bean with some light markings on it is something i've been trying to get for quite a few years (go back in my bean page and you'll see a Pink Pinto that didn't really work out well).

as usual i'm always excited to see new beans and old friends too. :)

DSC_20240913_175325-0400_2395_September_Beans_thm.jpg

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I see some purple-ish speckles and a two-tone reddish ones. Also some mostly cream colored with a couple dark spots. Those really are some pretty beans.