the little wild kingdom

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Whew! Hope you get some downtime soon!

one down, one to go. good to see my brother again. glad he was easy and ready to go back home soon as he also could use some time off.

i just did the dishes and get an hour off my feet until the next person shows up. :) *whew!* but as i was finishing dishes i said to Mom that i was occupado...

i did learn quite a few years ago that i can shell beans laying down if i have to. :)

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
recent good things... :) i saw a nice sized toad in the bean patch as i was finishing up picking Thursday. we've not seen too many toads around so i'm glad that there was at least one. i've also seen several frogs which also we don't see too many around.

and then also the Blue Jays have returned for their usual haunts and they will be around until next spring. their squeaky wheel calls are always amusing to me as the other calls of our regular birds decline as some migrate further south for the winter.

between Jays and Cardinals it is colorful out there.

just a few minutes ago i took pictures of the window above the kitchen sink where both a Praying Mantis and a Tree Frog were crawling around eating bugs. one of the pictures has both of them in it and it is good enough to post, but in the past i'd never seen a Praying Mantis active at night in any way at all. i've also not seen as many Praying Mantis or Tree Frogs around either so it lifts my spirits to see them any way they are to be found.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i did take most of this evening to unwind and to not do much else. feel a lot better. :) *whew!* long weekend.

both dinners went well and we're glad to see the people who were here. after getting the next round of dishes mostly done i left a few things for Mom and knew that she was going to crash out as soon as she sat in her chair so i put music on for her/us and fell asleep myself for a few seconds and that was it. i woke myself up and then just read and watched a few vids online and also shelled beans for about five minutes and cleaned up a few beans i had knocked over.

tomorrow we return to a more normal schedule and i hope i can squeeze a nap in someplace during the day, but make no promises at all to anyone.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
That's a skill I'm working on improving, lol!

i put on music this morning and grabbed a few extra winks after taking out the trash. then i had a watermelon to cut up. it wasn't very good so most of it is ending up going out to the weed pile. the center was mushy/spongy, not rotting but not right either. so all i could rescue for eating was around the edges.

it's not been a good year for melons - i think one out of five we've bought was decent, the rest have been iffy to icky. i told Mom we have to tell them we can't buy melons from them any more because it's a waste of $ and effort.