Things To Know Before Getting Geese

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
So we're thinking of getting some geese. They make a good tweaker deterrent and the problem is getting closer as the houses are going up down the road. Chickens help if they are free ranging.

Any recommendations on which breed would look the scariest to drugged up thieves?

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'd think anything the size of a honking, attacking goose would scare them :lol:....especially if they got hit & flogged by one. Take that story back to their friends & you're set.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'd think anything the size of a honking, attacking goose would scare them :lol:....especially if they got hit & flogged by one. Take that story back to their friends & you're set.

Geese are really the local recommendation for people with acreage as guard animals against the thefts.

My food begging chickens scared some snooper off once

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Actually, they graze very nicely and make a nice lawn.

They eat the dandelions first... and a few other weeds... then wonderfully trim the grass.

rabbits also go selectively for certain weeds which makes them nice for the lawn but then they make up for it in other ways in the gardens and the flower beds and also some of the trees in the winter they'll eat some of the bark and lower hanging branches.

I keep wondering if they remind me of cattle or horses..... because they eat a bit, sit and digest a bit, then repeat. I guess more horses
.. since they do not chew a cud.

they're way too loud for me to ever consider them in any way other than as a wild animal.

Alaskan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So we're thinking of getting some geese. They make a good tweaker deterrent and the problem is getting closer as the houses are going up down the road. Chickens help if they are free ranging.

Any recommendations on which breed would look the scariest to drugged up thieves?
The American Buff Geese are a large geese, friendly with people they know, and I think would be great guard dogs for you.