TSC dormant plants

MGG

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Hello!
I just joined to ask about some plants I got on sale today day, lol. I'm on BYC and asked there but they said to try here instead. I love gardening and plants but I'm definitely an amateur. I was hoping you guys could give me some advice. I just found these dormant plant things at TSC for 75% off, making them like $2 a piece. I got five different things just for fun. The thing is I have no clue what to do with them for them to grow most effectively. Or at all. Do these things even survive usually? Should I start them in pots inside for a while? Keep them inside all the time? I live in Northern South Dakota, so we're zone 3-4. I think all the ones I got should be ok except possibly the blackberry. We have brutal winters here.
So... Here are pictures of the labels. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I have no idea what to do with them but I'm excited about them, I'd really love for them to grow.
Some are already growing a bit, but the blackberry's shoots are dry looking.

Aronia Berry
20240611_175907.jpg
20240611_175924.jpg
20240611_175934.jpg

Strawberry
20240611_175952.jpg
20240611_175956.jpg
20240611_180002.jpg

Blackberry
20240611_180017.jpg
20240611_180021.jpg
20240611_180027.jpg

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I haven't grown hardy kiwi, but I had planned to. I learned they're a heavy vibe that need a sturdy structure The plants are male/female. I think you need 1 male for 4 female??? And the thing I came here to say about hardiness - they need protection from early freeze/frost.

The blueberry is tough. Plant it in its permanent home.

R2elk

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hello!
I just joined to ask about some plants I got on sale today day, lol. I'm on BYC and asked there but they said to try here instead. I love gardening and plants but I'm definitely an amateur. I was hoping you guys could give me some advice. I just found these dormant plant things at TSC for 75% off, making them like $2 a piece. I got five different things just for fun. The thing is I have no clue what to do with them for them to grow most effectively. Or at all. Do these things even survive usually? Should I start them in pots inside for a while? Keep them inside all the time? I live in Northern South Dakota, so we're zone 3-4. I think all the ones I got should be ok except possibly the blackberry. We have brutal winters here.
So... Here are pictures of the labels. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I have no idea what to do with them but I'm excited about them, I'd really love for them to grow.
Some are already growing a bit, but the blackberry's shoots are dry looking.

Aronia Berry View attachment 26497View attachment 26498View attachment 26499

Strawberry
View attachment 26500View attachment 26501View attachment 26502

Blackberry
View attachment 26503View attachment 26504View attachment 26505
Places like TSC don't keep these "dormant" plants in the cool conditions they require. If they look dead, they likely are dead.

The ones that are alive need well watered and until hardened off they also need protected from bright sunlight. It probably isn't a bad idea to pot them so that you can move them around as needed to protect them from the wind and sun and keep them well watered.

Good luck.

Nomadicus

Power Conserver
Reaction score
My wife bought a humming bird vine from TSC. It was a dead stick. I think the only way to ever buy from TSC is within a couple of days of their arrival at the store. R2elk is right about the conditions at TSC is not good enough for them to remain dormant.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
$2 and a little green sticking out the top. Seems worth some dirt, pots, time in the shade and TLC to see what happens.

Only one tip... Blueberries need low soil PH (acidic) to be happy. "Honey, can you look at my blueberries their leaves are red". Sulfur will lower the soil PH, always follow the label when adding soil amendments.

Let us know how they are doing.

Jesus is Lord and Christ ✝️