What can I do with figs?

Lady Henevere

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
NPR did a nice story on canning last week, and the woman being interviewed said she came up with this recipe when a friend gave her a bunch of figs. You can read and hear the story here , if you're interested. Here's the recipe:

Fig, Lemon And Thyme Confiture

by Cathy Barrow

This jam was inspired by Christine Ferbers wonderful book Mes Confitures and came about when a friend dropped off pounds of fresh figs from her tree. My herb garden was overflowing with thyme and I had a jar of exquisite local honey, gathered in the spring and scented with apple and cherry blossoms.

The lemons, cut very thin, candy in the honey syrup and add a brightness to this beautiful purply confiture. Serve alongside cheese anything from a young fromage blanc to a well-aged cheese, like Stonyman Farmers Grayson Reserve. For an exquisite treat, slather in a grilled cheese sandwich with a ripe fontina.

Ingredients

4 pounds fresh figs brown turkey are a particularly pretty variety

3 small organic lemons

1 cup light honey

3 cups sugar

6-10 sprigs of thyme, washed and tied together

Instructions

Place the figs in a large bowl and cover with boiling water. Allow to stand for 10 minutes, then drain and place in a 5 quart preserving or other nonreactive pan.

Wash the lemons well, then slice them paper thin with a mandoline or a very sharp knife, removing the seeds carefully. Add the lemons to the figs, along with the honey, sugar and thyme.

Bring the jam up to a simmer, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Pour off into a glass or ceramic bowl, cover with parchment and allow the flavors to develop overnight in the refrigerator.

The next day, put the jam back into the preserving pan and bring to a full boil what the canning books call a boil that you cant stir down and boil hard for 5 minutes.

I choose to keep this confiture very loose, but if you prefer a firmer jam, add one packet of liquid pectin at this point and bring the mixture back to a hard boil for 1 minute.

Pour hot jam into hot sterilized jars and process for 10 minutes in a boiling water bath.

Makes 12 4-ounce jars.