What did you do in your garden today?

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
The kids are slowly picking up interest in what I may be planting. Eldest talked about wanting taters yesterday.

My buddy has the old metal street sign posts lined up for me. Hopefully I will get enough I won't have to buy tposts for the anti critter fencing and be able to use those.

The ground is really clay, lots of standing water in the yard after all the precip. Definitely going to have to start planning for raised beds

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
I am thinking 2 4'x8' raised beds to start with. One with beets, greens, and carrots, the second with asparagus. Will decide over the summer how many more beds to add.

Considering a tub with sunchokes. My veggies for bulk canning I think I will still buy from my local peeps this summer

Last edited:

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
keeping extra shoes handy for the muddy times when you have to get into a garden...

making plans for some trenches to improve drainage but if you just reshape it enough to give you the slopes and garden beds you want without actually putting in formal raised beds can save a ton of $.

the hardest thing is to not forget about access and the longer term. once you put down raised beds then you limit what can be done in that area in the future if you decide you want a bigger patch. plus every formal edge is work to keep up.

as time has gone on i've found that all those little gardens and pathways we put in were just wasted space and interferred with making a garden space more useful with crop rotations and layouts. as i get chances now i'm removing smaller gardens and pathways and combining the smaller gardens and that really makes it much easier to take care of things.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
keeping extra shoes handy for the muddy times when you have to get into a garden...

making plans for some trenches to improve drainage but if you just reshape it enough to give you the slopes and garden beds you want without actually putting in formal raised beds can save a ton of $.

the hardest thing is to not forget about access and the longer term. once you put down raised beds then you limit what can be done in that area in the future if you decide you want a bigger patch. plus every formal edge is work to keep up.

as time has gone on i've found that all those little gardens and pathways we put in were just wasted space and interferred with making a garden space more useful with crop rotations and layouts. as i get chances now i'm removing smaller gardens and pathways and combining the smaller gardens and that really makes it much easier to take care of things.
Fair points, but I've been there and got the t-shirt. Lol. :lol:

Despite not gardening majorly for over 10 years, I still have my gardening gear. Lightweight long sleeved shirts, rugged pants, comfortable headgear, good gloves, and garden work boots. Instilled in me as a kid having a set of "farm clothes" for weekends at my grandparents dairy farm.

Have only been on this property for less than 3 months, still getting a feel for things. The ground has been saturated with standing water and too soft to be able to explore too much. With the fallow property next door, I have a concern of field mice and possibly ground hogs coming from over there, so critter defense is a big consideration.

If I was 10 years younger, the approach would be different. With a full-time job plus the volunteer gig, I have to be stingy with my efforts. Raised beds for now.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Fair points, but I've been there and got the t-shirt. Lol. :lol:

Despite not gardening majorly for over 10 years, I still have my gardening gear. Lightweight long sleeved shirts, rugged pants, comfortable headgear, good gloves, and garden work boots. Instilled in me as a kid having a set of "farm clothes" for weekends at my grandparents dairy farm.

Have only been on this property for less than 3 months, still getting a feel for things. The ground has been saturated with standing water and too soft to be able to explore too much. With the fallow property next door, I have a concern of field mice and possibly ground hogs coming from over there, so critter defense is a big consideration.

If I was 10 years younger, the approach would be different. With a full-time job plus the volunteer gig, I have to be stingy with my efforts. Raised beds for now.

all makes sense to me. :) good luck with what you can do and enjoy.

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I personally would not do a raised bed for asparagus simply due to the size of the roots and them needing to be deep enough in the ground for winter to not freeze and damage. Raised bed will actually expose them to more cold/freezing... Raised beds are great for the root crops and not having to be bent over so far as we get "more mature"... in our prime years !!!!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My weather app shows 10 days of weather primarily in mid 50s with sunshine :clap I'm hoping to do something toward the garden rework, after none last year -- some extras needed. New fence on adjacent pasture side. Spot repIace fence 15' on property line side...remove posts & cattle panels from tomatoes area to allow disc/till for first go at that. The animals have been in there so plenty of manure & waste hay to till in. :old I expect a good season from the ground, need weather to co-op for summer. Once tilled, I'll bring my stored mulch up to closer access. I have all equipment and fence, etc, right here now. Just need my butt in gear to work it. :lol:

Yeah, the little greenhouse parts are still looking at me -- waiting for assembly! Seed & pots, soil, all waiting. Home Thurs thru Monday -- need to DO IT :celebrate

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Enjoyed some sunshine 🌞 and walked the property. Found where the previous owners had what I estimate to be about a 36'x36' garden. Truly the only significant dry spot right now. Not convinced on a solution yet. Still have time

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
looked at a bit of fence that wasn't meant to keep rabbits out and saw why one was able to run right across and go through it like it wasn't there. would need some rocks or bricks along the bottom to stop that sort of action. probably won't bother. we'll see when spring actually gets here. :)