What did you do in your garden today?

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've used both those processes, and they rely on horizontal running, which you don't really have with an arch. I guess I'll just have to experiment.
Here's another to look at. I didn't study it but part 5 says pruning gapres on an arbor.

Jesus is Lord and Christ ✝️

Dreamz

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wow! You all have been so busy and productive. Proud of you all.

On my neck of the woods with a bad knee and all the rain, I can barely find my tomatoes and peppers, 🤣

20240622_104329.jpg
So, put a knee brace on and taking advantage of a rainy day so the soil is loose and did some clearing.

20240622_111942.jpg
Still more to do but it's muggy and hot out there!

R2elk

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Grapes at my old house thrived for over 40 years with a ph over 8. I wouldn't worry too much about PH.
Different varieties have different requirements. I bought Saint Theresa grapes because it specifically listed being tolerant of alkaline soils.

"Vigorous vine. This mostly seedless purple grape grows well on an arbor or screen. The slip-skin fruit has an excellent flavor. Tolerant of alkaline soil. Cold-hardy — stands up to temperatures as low as -30ºF. Ripens in early September. Self-pollinating."

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@Hinotori do you use as a tea? Or....

I understand mullein is good. I have tons of that growing here. Several are flowering this year, noticed that yesterday. Fresh leaves...good TP🤣
But it's a curative plant for bronchial issues. Can even be smoked. I've a friend who smokes...tried to get here to use this. COPD & she won't quit the cigs! 🥴

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@Hinotori do you use as a tea? Or....

I understand mullein is good. I have tons of that growing here. Several are flowering this year, noticed that yesterday. Fresh leaves...good TP🤣
But it's a curative plant for bronchial issues. Can even be smoked. I've a friend who smokes...tried to get here to use this. COPD & she won't quit the cigs! 🥴

Tea.

Mullein is considered invasive here so planting it wouldn't be the best idea.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well, it looks invasive where it's growing on the old RR track here 🤣. But no state warning issues.

Garden. Like me, hot & dry. At least first several inches of dirt -- where young plant roots reside. So I got the under mulch soaker going along the tomatoes. And squished several darned horn worms 😡. Still need to add posts and wire for tie ups. I'ma slacker 😓

It's HOT out there. Full sun. Pastures drying. I need a good soaking rain! Yeah, over rained in May, now short in June. July ? Prob dry, usually is.

LaurenRitz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I can't find the tomatoes, but it's technically not because of weeds. I overseeded with flax.
20240623_195942.jpg

The flax did nothing to deter squash bugs. A few years ago I had one zucchini that didn’t have a single squash bug all season, surrounded by seeding lettuce. Maybe coincidence. I was hoping the flax would do the same.