What did you do to MAKE money today?

Niele da Kine

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Dropped off the first yarn consignment to a yarn store today and even made a few sales. If/when all if it sells, there should be about $342 in yarn sales. They get an additional 20% on top of that which the store gets to keep so I think they are real reasonable about their commission rates. The rates are $25 an ounce for angora and all other fiber is $10 an ounce. My friend gave me the fleeces from her four sheep a week ago Sunday and I had about two dozen skeins of yarn to take in. Most of the yarn was the wool from the sheep, although there was also three skeins of suri llama wool and two skeins of angora rabbit wool, too. All the angora disappeared before they even got it on the shelf and someone got three skeins of the sheep and the three skeins of the llama within an hour of them getting into the shop. I am very surprised and extremely pleased with the results. The yarn store is ninety miles away so we will only be going there once a month to drop off the yarn and hang out with the folks knitting there on Wednesdays. Guess I'll get busy and see if there can be two dozen skeins ready for next month, although there won't be much angora until the bunnies make more wool.

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
DH picked up a custom welding job making trap stakes for our local Critter Control.

HEChicken

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Refereed a few soccer games last weekend and picked up my check last night.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
My fiance officially hired me. I still don't know what he is paying me, lol. I think it will be 50% commission.

And I'm grooming 2 more dogs today! :woot 1 of them is for the town busy-body, so it is VERY important that she is completely thrilled with my work!

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
tortoise - I saw an ad on our local "freecycle" looking for fabric. The person is a dog groomer and she uses the free fabric to make little bandannas and bows for her finished grooms. She said the clients really liked it. ??

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
tortoise - I saw an ad on our local "freecycle" looking for fabric. The person is a dog groomer and she uses the free fabric to make little bandannas and bows for her finished grooms. She said the clients really liked it. ??
I make my own too. Wholesale Grooming bandanas are $1.29. I can get 14 bandanas and 2 bow strips out of a yard of fabric (zero waste). I'm really, really fussy about how dogs look when they leave. I bought spring bandanas at $7-ish/yard, $0.53 each. My June-July (red-white-blue) I found a PERFECT print at only $3.00/yard, so those are only $0.20 each!

I sew my own bows. It costs a few cents more than purchased bows, but OMG those bows look like crap.... and of course from China. Plus I have to buy 100 at a time. Ick. This will be a short spring season for me, I can't use 100 bows!

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Add on Craigslist and sold some irises that desperately needed thinning for $1.00 each. Made $20.00! :)

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
Add on Craigslist and sold some irises that desperately needed thinning for $1.00 each. Made $20.00! :)
I certainly need to do THAT! Thanks for the idea :D :D :D :hugs

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I sewed grooming bows today. It costs me about $0.15 each (not counting time). Buying bows is $0.11 each for nasty acetate made in China bows. I hope my clients can tell the difference.

I worked on a cold call script. Did a lot of research online, but most didn't apply. I'll be searching through a cliet database so I can pinpoint breed, age, activity, etc. It's a small town and I'll only call people that have a relationship with the clinic and have a dog that needs repeat grooming.

What do you think:

Hello, This is X from XXXXX Veterinary Clinic.

I wanted to tell you we have added pet grooming services and have a low sale price until April 15th.

I have XX appointments available before this sale ends. Would you like one of them?
*sigh* People tell me it will be successful, but I'm not so excited. It's my job to grow this little part of the business and keep myself in work. I'm paid commission only as of now. Pretty much all of my income is going back into supplies/equipment or going the business. Not unexpected since it has been YEARS since I have groomed and am short some equipment for this volume of work. :/

It is sooooo frustrating that the Dr.s can do 3 surgeries ($600+) in the time it takes for me to groom 2 dogs ($70-ish).