What SS Mistakes Have You Made?

hennypenny9

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
VickiLynn said:
ohiofarmgirl said:
...i also should have realized that chickens are like crack and that i should have built a bigger hen house.
;-)
Has anyone ever thought they built their chicken house too big? I'm wondering because I've read a few comments wishing they would have gone bigger. We're getting ready to build one and now I'm reconsidering the size. I don't want to have to report it here as a SS mistake ;)
My parents built their hen house way too big. It is a pain to clean, gets too cold in the winter, and the hens sometimes make the far corner into a nest, so you have to crawl all the way to the back to get them. Unless your winters are so hard that the hens must stay inside a lot, I would not go very big. I like a large chicken run, though, as long as it is predator-proof. (or as good as it can be.)

I kept trying to think of mistakes, but they weren't really. I thought one mistake was moving away, into a city. But if I hadn't moved to Bellingham, I would not have become interested in SS. I like the feeling and attitude here. No offense to my home town, but Gig Harbor is yuppie, and filled with cranky rich retired folks. I hope this has changed, since I'm going back!

Once I get to my new place I hope to have the opportunity to make just TONS of mistakes!

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
I honestly have to say that we really haven't made any really expensive mistakes.....yet.

I bought out in the country far enough for privacy, but still close enough to walk to town if need be.
Bought enough land to do what we need to do, but not so much that we won't be able to take care of it in our golden years.
Bought with the idea of having my business located here and so far it has worked out pretty well.
Built the new shed last summer with the idea of a greenhouse addition, and it is coming together as I type this, IF the weather would give me a break!
Made friends with enough farmers that we can buy/trade labor for most all of our meat locally, grass fed and as natural as possible for this area.
So far every improvement we have made has pretty much paid for itself in a very short time. The fully automatic generator is the first thing that comes to mind....
Having our own laying hens was one of THE best moves we ever made.

I thank God every day for my parents. We were pretty much dirt poor when I was growing up, so I learned how to make do or do without. The best thing though, was the knowledge I learned from my Mother about how to treat people, cooking, canning and preserving, and from my Father, a love of beer, carpentry skills, gardening and fruit tree care. Both of them instilled in me, a very handy thing called COMMON SENSE. Something seriously lacking in today's society.

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
Benjamin Franklin.

:D :D :D

hennypenny9

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
Sorry to say HP, Gig H is still the same. :/
Poop. Although I've found that "normal" people seem to be fascinated over the things I do that are ss. Mostly in a good way, a "hey, can you teach me how to knit!" kind of way. It would be a mistake not to take advantage of the interest!