Bimpnottin's Journal - OFG: Bacon scarf

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
could be environmental allergies, belive it or not, many grass pollens are becomming major contributors to allergies in dogs.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
My groomer who is also a vet tech told me to clean the ears once but then don't keep adding liquid to the ears. Then (for yeast) get some cream that is made for vaginal yeast infections and clean the ears twice a day with that on a cotton swab, getting it right into the ear. Works great on my two floppy-eared dogs, especially when we do a lot of swimming in farm ponds and the lake in the hot weather.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I agree with Free that the vaginal over the counter stuff could be helpful, but if it is yeast you can physically remove a lot of it with cleaning, that is why I suggested that since it is cheap.

They actually have a great medication at the vets called Mometamax (sp?) that you put in just once a day into a dirty ear, it is the easiest and if you could get some of that it is much easier than putting a liquid in the ear.

I would NOT use oil. You want that ear dry, not moist. Oil will make it stay moist which is the opposite of what you want.

I agree with pinkfox that it kinda sounds like environmental allergies and I'm seeing a lot of those lately.

Do here toes turn pink after walking in the grass?

To put stuff in a dogs ear, have a second person help you hold and then wrap the dog in a towel. Try doing just one ear at a time and then waiting, but don't let the dog "win" by acting up and not finishing.

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Here's another idea...when was the last time he was dewormed? parasites can often cause this problem as well, at least in humans, and I assume the same for pets. If it is not yeast, a deworming might do two thinngs, bring up the immune system, get rid of any parasitic infestation, and deworming can also at times help with allergies.

MetalSmitten

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
i worked for years in a specialty pet food store that focused heavily on providing options and information about allergies :) obviously every dog is different, but in my experience, what you might want to do is switch her to a limited-ingredient diet. so, instead of the fromm's (a fantastic food otherwise) which has twenty different meats, grains and veggies, maybe think about the brand "natural balance" or similar where there's literally only one protein source, one carb source, and then the vitamins etc. i recommend natural balance in particular because it's one of the less expensive options (still pricey though) and they have completely novel food sources in their brand, such as duck or venison and potato, which most dogs haven't eaten before. if natural balance isn't available or not your first choice, there are a couple other brands that do limited ingredients now too :) but that way, you eliminate every food she's currently exposed to, fix the itchies, and then one at a time you can re-introduce things. like give her chicken again for a few days, and see if she itches. if not, chicken ain't the problem and move on to the next food until you find the culprit. then you know what to avoid in the future, and can switch to a less expensive food if desired. the elimination method is much less expensive than an allergy test, and usually more effective as well, as long as nobody cheats and gives the dog "treats" (btw, there are also several types of treats on the market now specifically for dogs with allergies, that complement the foods - if you're worried your kids or someone might give a bad treat, you could always either buy the special treats or just let them use kibbles as treats, so that they still get to give her nummies but her allergies hopefully won't get aggravated.)

sometimes what happens, especially with certain purebred dogs or dogs whose guts have been compromised from antibiotics or something, is that it's not technically an allergy in the strict definition of the word -- it's actually an intolerance. ie, they're not BORN with it, instead it can develop over time, and so a food that worked well in the past can "suddenly" start giving problems as the body becomes more and more intolerant through overexposure. this is more common than true allergies, actually, because dogs typically get fed the same thing every day forever, so their guts start to lose their ability to digest it well over time. -sometimes- just simply adding probiotics to all their food can make a mild intolerance go away. but it's almost always referred to as "allergies," so, just somethin to keep in mind :)

these food allergies/intolerances actually can manifest as yeast infections in the ears also, so, keep an eye out - she might be in the beginning stages. if you suspect this, try using a high-protein, low-carb food (assuming your dog is otherwise healthy and can handle high protein). don't feed the yeast :D

Bimpnottin

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
okay, all great suggestions. Knew I was asking the right people. :bow

In between her toes is almost always pink the last few weeks, because she's been chewing on those. She is such an outside wuss because she gets eaten alive and turns into a big swollen mess, that she goes outside for walks on the road and when she has to go, that's about it.

She hasn't been wormed, except her monthly heartworm medicine, lately, but had a fecal done, and there wasn't anything in it. She gets her monthly dose of flea/tick/mosquito stuff - which she needs, but it's right on schedule.

And it's not the dog food snacks that I'm worried about, it's the 2 yo's sandwiches or crackers or cereal that somehow get slipped to the dog for a bite. :barnie

Which single source Natural Balance would you suggest. MorelCabin says boxers and chicken don't mix. Have severe fish allergies in the family, so that isn't even an option.

I can always make hubby stop and get some at Petco on his way home.

MetalSmitten

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
could you put a little "candy jar" type thing on the table, filled with acceptable treats, so that the 2 year old has a better option within reach? i know it's hard to watch everything a 2 year old does, hehe but it might help. if it's a really bad problem, you could always put the dog in a spare room during meal/snack times... hate doing that to them but it's for their own good if accidental treats don't stop happening. changing the diet won't help if little extras still find their way into the dog's mouth :D

i'd personally try the venison&potato if it's available (and i do believe petco carries it now) - the duck can be a little rich for some dogs and takes them longer to adjust to. the duck is also good though as long as you transition them slowly :) i think they also have a lamb&rice version but either of those could possibly be a trigger if she's had them before, so i'd probably avoid that at first.

actually, i just visited their website, and it looks like they also have a new bison&sweet potato food, which also looks good :) really, of those three, pick whichever you think your dog will eat but hasn't eaten before, and you should be good for starting an elimination diet test. if you don't go with natural balance, just make sure you read the ingredients lists, most foods have a main flavor that they'll say on the front of the bag, but multiple ingredients listed on the back.

foot chewing is another classic sign of an allergy, often food, sometimes environmental. i would usually see the trifecta of ears, eyes and feet when dealing with food problems. also dandruff can be another symptom of food issues. when you switched her food last time and it seemed to help, did that happen to be right around the same time as any environmental changes? or was the environment pretty steady during that time? i suspect food intolerances because you mentioned switching her diet helped before, but it could be environment if it's seasonal to specific times of year. or it could be both. i've met dogs who were literally allergic to grass, smoke, cats, other dogs, and even to people.

if she's okay with dairy, you could plop some plain yogurt on her food too, to get some probiotics in there.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Back to the yeast thing... This is a constant battle for me with my Rottie. I think I will try the yeast cream. Thanks for that suggestion.

Lori cleans her dogs ears with Organic ACV and had good luck with that.

g

Bimpnottin

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
MetalSmitten said:
i'd personally try the venison&potato if it's available (and i do believe petco carries it now) - the duck can be a little rich for some dogs and takes them longer to adjust to. the duck is also good though as long as you transition them slowly :) i think they also have a lamb&rice version but either of those could possibly be a trigger if she's had them before, so i'd probably avoid that at first.

actually, i just visited their website, and it looks like they also have a new bison&sweet potato food, which also looks good :) really, of those three, pick whichever you think your dog will eat but hasn't eaten before, and you should be good for starting an elimination diet test. if you don't go with natural balance, just make sure you read the ingredients lists, most foods have a main flavor that they'll say on the front of the bag, but multiple ingredients listed on the back.

foot chewing is another classic sign of an allergy, often food, sometimes environmental. i would usually see the trifecta of ears, eyes and feet when dealing with food problems. also dandruff can be another symptom of food issues. when you switched her food last time and it seemed to help, did that happen to be right around the same time as any environmental changes? or was the environment pretty steady during that time? We got her last March from the humane society. Took her to the kennel for the first time about June, so probably switched her food about July. So a year on the Fromm's. We were still trying her outside last year, but the way the bugs attack her, we couldn't do it, and I'm home during the day, so she gets to be spoiled and be a house dog. Seasonal allergies were crazy around here last year. We're not quite as high for cumulative pollen count this year, but it's still a really high year. She did seem better in the winter and during the spring. Like I said, she's never not scratched, but it got to the point where it was only a little and her ears healed up, so we figured she's kind of mental. :p The last two weeks, she's back to being horrible with constant scratching to the point of scratching it raw on the outside of her ear and chewing her feet. I guess I'll have to see if Petco carries the bison and sweet potato, because the Fromm's has duck, potato, rice, chicken in it, so those flavors wouldn't be eliminating anything. That's why I was suspecting "seasonal" allergies, because she's gotten away from us a few times in the last couple of weeks (love my 2 yo grrrrr) and run through places that she hasn't been in for months, like through the corn field, through the swampy pond, and down to the farmer's at the end of the road. Hmmmm - she did run through the cornfield within a couple of days of them spraying it, wonder if that might have triggered something, but she did get a bath that night when I got her home, since she decided to roll in the cow yard..i suspect food intolerances because you mentioned switching her diet helped before, but it could be environment if it's seasonal to specific times of year. or it could be both. i've met dogs who were literally allergic to grass, smoke, cats, other dogs, and even to people.

if she's okay with dairy, you could plop some plain yogurt on her food too, to get some probiotics in there.

MetalSmitten

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
going through a sprayed corn field could definitely do it :D though i'd think you'd see her itchy more all over rather than just in the traditional allergy hot spots. poor thing sounds like she's probably got multiple allergies. boxers can be one the sensitive breeds too, many of the bully breeds actually have tender tummies. and white boxers can get sunburn which aggravates things. if diet doesn't help, the next step would be to keep a journal where you document every. single. thing. she does or has contact with, along with instances of worse or better itching, to try to find the pattern and figure out any environmental triggers. IF you can figure it out, and IF you can eliminate it/them, you might be good to go on that front too. buuuut sometimes if they've got environmental allergies, you can't always remove the trigger, and so she'd either be seasonally itchy forever or you could get the vets to try a steroid shot =/ the shots can work wonders if the allergy symptoms are affecting the dog's quality of life, but, as you probably know, long-term steroid usage comes with its own set of issues. and bills. i really hope changing the diet again can at least get her reasonably comfortable :) good luck with everything!