Bimpnottin's Journal - OFG: Bacon scarf

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
Sounds like you are seeing the light at the end of the construction tunnel, at least! Even with all the remodeling work I would love to do around here, I'm not sure I could deal with the mess and the confusion, and the temper flares :p We have a teeny tiny bathroom that could be expanded into wasted space in the master bedroom next to it- it's on my project list. Along with making my sort-of-sun room an actual sunroom and expanding my 5x10 kitchen. Good luck with the construction!

Bimpnottin

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The worst part of our construction - we're "fixing" the downstairs bathroom, so the only usable one is ALL THE WAY UPSTAIRS. he he. Can you tell I hear that several times a day (when I'm not muttering it myself) So, there went potty training with the 2-year-old and the 4-year-old has had more "oopsies" when she can't make it, and the neighbors caught the 8yo going outside, because it's too far to go upstairs and she really had to go!!!!!!!!! Whatever, I live in the country.

Now, if we could just agree on what the heck to do with the floors. I really need to spend another weekend at a home improvement center like I need another hole in my head, but I guess that's what I will be doing for part of this weekend, so we can get the floor picked out. I over ruled the hubby when he wanted to tile the bathtub surround. I've never done tiling, he's never done tiling, and I really think that would be a disaster waiting to happen. I love him dearly, but honestly, he's not handy and he doesn't finish anything, so I ordered the tub surround. I think we're actually going to go with a kinda pricey linoleum-type stuff that really (ok - almost) looks like a stone floor and is textured, but no grout, no setting the tiles, and a whole lot less work, and less expensive.

How do home improvements turn into total arguments? Seriously, paint color is not something to argue about, but we did for almost an hour, until he walked away in a huff and told me to just pick the color! :th well, that's what I was going to do anyway! :p He really liked this one faux thing for the bathroom which looked okay, until I read the directions and realized that you don't paint it once, you go over it 4X! Hello! I don't think so. So, now I'm trying to figure out something for the bathroom to go with our new espresso finish. The guest room, I'm kind of going yellow/orangy in three horizontal stripes. Beauty of paint is that if I end up hating it, I can always redo it. Oh, and really - he wanted to go with PURPLE in the bathroom, and it was some kind of lavender purple. I wonder how he's really seeing that color, because he is red/green color blind.

Bimpnottin

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wow, been awhile since I've been on here. :hide

Last few weeks have been crazy busy. The end of construction is almost in sight. Walls are plastered. I spent 2 hours sanding what I could without a ladder :th Now, I just need to get my butt on the ladder and finish the bedroom. The closet is getting a cursory runover, seriously, it's a hall closet. Haven't started the bathroom sanding, yet. I really need to work on that, because need to get the walls in there done before everything is installed. I would be further on the sanding if little things like life wouldn't keep interferring. :p (I've been watching more kids during the day and having more farm audits to do - which is paying for the remodeling, but now I don't have time to work on the remodeling.) The flooring changed in the bathroom, but we hadn't ordered anything, so it was just us changing our minds, AGAIN! :he And we compromised on the fixtures and went with a different finish that was about $80 cheaper (sigh).

Our daughter goes to Catholic grade school, so we have family requirements for putting in time at the church-run produce stand. I went to put in 4 of my hours a couple of weeks ago and my replacement didn't show up, so I ended up with almost 9 hours. Really, it's fun (aka no kids :weee ) but I didn't want to get all my "mandatory volunteering" hours in at one stretch. The upside to getting that done is that whatever hours I put in now offset some of the fundraising money we're supposed to earn. :)

Our garden looks like junk this year. I've had a grand total of 3 cucumbers - don't get too far with that, they did taste really good in last night's salad. No beans. Broccoli was good, actually going for a second cutting on most of the plants. Question: How do you get rid of the little green worms in the broccoli? You know, the ones that look like cooked celery after you cook the stuff, not that I would have told my kids there was celery in there and just eat it, if I missed any! :hide Zucchini finally has one, I repeat, ONE on it. Tomatoes have lots set, but nothing red, yet. I really hope that it's not one of those years where I get two ripe tomatoes every couple of days - that really messes up canning. Now, if we could just get in the garden to find the plants through all the weeds... I hate weeding! :barnie

Today is the last day of the summer reading program at the library. There were 103 kids signed up this year. The library we go to gets lots of donations as prizes and today we'll have an actual auctioneer come in and the kids will get to bid on stuff using their points. Then, there are raffles to enter and little prizes to turn points in for. The girls should have a blast!

I have four more audit appointments to schedule, but I'm trying to figure out when, because I'm going to have extra kids during the day and farmers don't like to make appointments at night. So, I'm going to have to hire the neighbor girl to come and watch the beasties, which is going to cost me more than I make on a couple of the appts, because I'll be paying for someone to watch my kids and only getting paid for watching a couple of them. That's the downside to my neighbor getting in extra hours, because she is usually off on Wednesday and we trade babysitting, which doesn't cost me anything. Have to get these appointments done, though. Office won't issue me any more until my current work list is completed.

So, life has been busy, but nothing out of the ordinary.

calendula

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I've been getting those little green worms on my cabbage and kale. I pick off all that I can find and feed them to the chickens, and I have been spraying my plants with a homemade "pesticide" but I don't know how much good it's doing. I think I have better luck just checking the plants every morning and picking the little creeps off.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
hey baby!

i'm making your cake again... just took it out of the oven. whoooot!

:)

S

sunsaver

calendula said:
I've been getting those little green worms on my cabbage and kale. I pick off all that I can find and feed them to the chickens, and I have been spraying my plants with a homemade "pesticide" but I don't know how much good it's doing. I think I have better luck just checking the plants every morning and picking the little creeps off.
Bt powder is a wonderful organic control that will get rid of those cabbage worms. It's well worth it to buy some. Soapy water will kill every other type of hard shelled insect. Just be sure to rinse your plants with clean water, about five minutes after you soak them down . 1/4 cup Dawn dish soap per gallon. Kills all insects.

Bimpnottin

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
ohiofarmgirl said:
hey baby!

I think you make that more than my family does, and that is saying a lot. We were talking about birthdays coming up, and my brother and I both said the ultimate is chocolate mayonaisse cake with chocolate marshmallow ice cream. Now that's heaven!!!!!

Bimpnottin

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
sunsaver said:
calendula said:
Bt powder is a wonderful organic control that will get rid of those cabbage worms. It's well worth it to buy some. Soapy water will kill every other type of hard shelled insect. Just be sure to rinse your plants with clean water, about five minutes after you soak them down . 1/4 cup Dawn dish soap per gallon. Kills all insects.
Is that what I would look for is BT powder? Or is it called something else? Thanks for the help.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
Bimpnottin said:
ohiofarmgirl said:
hey baby!

I think you make that more than my family does, and that is saying a lot. We were talking about birthdays coming up, and my brother and I both said the ultimate is chocolate mayonaisse cake with chocolate marshmallow ice cream. Now that's heaven!!!!!
well technically... it WAS a birthday... we are poppin' chicks out at the rate at about 1 per day!

Bimpnottin

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Been busy today. Got some pickled beets canned today. Showing the kids how beet juice can dye fabric, so I should have two flour sack towels soaking in some of the beet juice - worse that will happen is that it bleeds into the red towels I'll wash it with. :)

Weeded some of the garden. I hate weeding! My 8yo thinks I'm trying to kill her by making her weed. (Nah, not going that far, but punish, yes. avoid it myself, definitely. try to teach her some responsibility - absolutely!)

My tomatoes are still green, but I did see the first blush of red on a couple, so I might start getting some of them. Finally! :ep

Need to finish sanding the room. I have the paint and got new rollers - only problem is that my husband KNEW where the actual roller handle was, and now he can't find it. :idunno

Wow - that's a big update, but kids are trying to kill each other.