Canning peach pie filling with NO SUGAR?

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
so.....

there just no way I'm going to add 5-7 cups of sugar to my peach pie filling as the canning books suggest.

can i still can?

or should i just freeze?

normally i just add a sprinkling of sugar - i like the fruit flavor not the sugar.

of course i'm a canning chicken...so i dunno if i'm gonna kill us all with botulism or whatever if i dont add the sugar. i'm using the pressure canner for 30-35 mins, not a water bath.

yikes!?

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
:frow Hey, OFG! This site says you can can fruit without sugar.

Now, as a finder's fee, do I get a can of your peach pie filling for my efforts? :drool

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
hey DM!

and yes! i'm trying to shove a peach scone thru the internet to you!

:)

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Oooohh . . . peach scone, I'll take that! :D YUM!!! At the bottom of that website, they list their references, in case you want the University Extension accredited info. ;)

lalaland

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
oh lord, what is it with you women? you are making me soooo hungry! peach pie filling.....peach scone,.....don't you have any sympathy for a northerner who hasn't a peach in sight, not to mention not anywhere in the danged state?

geesh.

a peach, a sunwarmed, juice dripping peach.....OFG your kitchen is probably full of them. how come I"m not there? all I got here is mosquitos and horseflies and that danged bear in the blackberry patch.

snort. peaches!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I say freeze um. Who was it around here who said they freeze in the shape of a pie tin so it's just the right size and shape?

I bet it was Farm Fresh.

g

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
oh lord, what is it with you women? you are making me soooo hungry! peach pie filling.....peach scone,.....don't you have any sympathy for a northerner who hasn't a peach in sight, not to mention not anywhere in the danged state?
oh i'm sorry lala, i didnt hear you b/c i have peaches COMING OUT OF MY EARS!

hee hee hee

i'm sending the hubby up for more $2/basket peaches. i feel another cobbler coming on....

and yep i bet it was FF - she knows all the fun stuff
:)

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
You can can peachES with no sugar (just in water), although it does not give the greatest texture/taste/appearance; so I do not see why you could not do the same for peach FILLING, provided it is virtually all peaches and does not have a seriously-excessive amount of thickener added.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

lalaland

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
ok, so I drove into town and looked at peaches in the store, and they are hard like potatoes and if you try to smell them you can't because they aren't ripe and they are never gonna ripen, and even so, you do the best you can and pick out ONE PEACH and it costs $1.29 cents.

DID YOU HEAR THAT OFG? :old $2 bushel my eye! dang. stomping off to make a mean G&T and gonna go sulk. :rant

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Yep--Just can them in their own juice, or even a bit of water. Fruit is acidic enough to can without anything else.

And, you can freeze pies in tinfoil or Saran wrap-wrapped pie plate, then stack the frozen pie fillings in freezer containers for later use :)