CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Screenshot_20240917_142204_Gallery.jpg

Jesus is Lord and Christ ✝️

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i'm taking a break and enjoying a cup of dessert coffee, which is made from water, instant coffee and some fake coffee stuff (so it's not full strength caffiene), tons of brown sugar, creamer and plenty of vanilla (i ordered a bottle of it from a place hoping it was going to be as good as the stuff i really like from Mexico, but it turns out it is ok and edible so i'll enjoy it, yet it still isn't the same...). since i did have some chocolate frosting on graham crackers a while ago my idea of less sugar is rather funny at the moment and also avoiding caffiene, heheh, yeah, i'll be zooming for most of the afternoon and evening... :)

oh, that was good and now it's gone... :)

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That looks more like a rust red...

Nice color.
So the farm store sells Majic Town & Country Exterior Oil Base High Gloss (very good paint) in 4 colors. Classic green, classis red, black and white and for a very good price. For exterior paint over steel, latex 👎 oil base 👍. IDK, if you priced oil based paint lately, but if you have you'll understand why I said very good price.

It's also funny you should mention rust red. I read in one of my books about the history about how classic red barn paint got started, and that's it in a nut shell, keep rusty stuff looking good.

Just thought I would pass it along.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
One of my books on paint history talks about how finely ground rust was used sometimes for the flour paint used on barns. Red ochre was also used to color it. Whatever they had that was cheap to add color. Cooked flour paint was cheap. The iron oxide helped prevent insects from eating the wood

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
One of my books on paint history talks about how finely ground rust was used sometimes for the flour paint used on barns. Red ochre was also used to color it. Whatever they had that was cheap to add color. Cooked flour paint was cheap. The iron oxide helped prevent insects from eating the wood
Interesting thanks for the info.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Forgot we processed our 42 CCX Aug 10. My neighbor and I plucked and gutted, and put them on ice in coolers. It was a great day to process with cool outside temps. My neighbor's wife and FB did deep cleaning and bagging in their huge kitchen. We all have our chicken for the year. It was a long day and we were whipped but it's all a memory now.

I fed them layer crumbles (16%) because 21% meat bird feed is crazy expenive. About 4 weeks from processing, I added corn I ground about the same size as the crumbles to finish them. The feed schedule seemed to work pretty well, plus the corn was free.

They are tender, juciy and delicious and don't have lot of excess fat.

Plucker was most definitely worth the rental fee. We did two birds at the same time.
Screenshot_20240917_202509_Gallery.jpg

Some bagged.
Screenshot_20240917_205026_Gallery.jpg

Snow in August?
Screenshot_20240917_202537_Gallery.jpg