Coffee's Ready, Come and Sit on the Porch

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
In other news, a few months ago son announced that he quit his Tesla job. WHAT??? Eleven years there. He want to move up to WA from San Jose to be with the rest of us (us and DD/family). Yea!

Now the Mom in me says yea for making a huge decision and move. He'll never be able to buy a home there; he's not finding any good women to date cus he's not an engineer making six figures; his friends are all getting married and having kids (he's 32); and he's had it renting a home from my Mother in a section 8 filled neighborhood. He was only paying $2800 (4/2 4000 sq ft lot with 1288 sq ft zero lot line home), but it could go for $4000, if it hadn't been his Grandmother renting to him.

We leave on Thursday a.m. for the trek down to San Jose. We'll spend the night in Redding CA, then keep going. We drop off our cat, Max, at Mother's, pick up her new airbed (cus she gave me her old one cus she didn't need it, and forgot that she gave it to us), then onto son's place.

Hubs has a job there at the rental. Sis wants us to rip out the old carpet, which was put down in 2016 when son moved into the rental. Its thrashed. Then hubs will install LVP in the LR, hallway and four tiny bedrooms. He'll also paint all the walls, repaint the front door, and clean the windows. I'll help haul the carpet to the dump, pull up the tack strips, and clean. Son's roomie is staying at least for a month or two, before he moves to Sacramento.

I've gotten out my graph paper (from high school!!) and made up tiny cutouts of the queen mattress, Husky tool box, freezer and 8 xlarge packing boxes. I then cut out a mock up of the 6x12' Uhaul. I positioned those largest things into the uhaul, given that the entry into the UH is slightly smaller than the inside, which are the listed dimensions. I also discovered thankfully that there are no wheel wells. I found that if I turned the freezer on its back and the tool box laying down, that we can get alot of packing boxes in there. He also has a stationary bike, which he'll need to disassemble, and lost of misc things. We also have the back of the truck and the trunk of his Tesla for stuff. I'm thinking its going to be like a cram it all in event!!

He will be leaving lots behind for my nephew - like to cheap desks, lots of kitchen stuff, Mother's kitchen table and 4 roll around chairs, two bookcases, etc. We will be on an airbed in one of the tiny bedroom. I asked son to rip out that carpet NOW as its where his two cats' box is and where he had a stand up queen mattress that the cats scratched up like mad. I love cats, but that close with all their dander and smell, and I'll be miserable with eyes itching and stuffed up.

We then leave on November 1st, stay in Mount Shasta, then head on home to Vancouver. I chose not to stay in Redding on the way back due to crime. Uhauls are a very easy target, along with a Tesla and a Ram truck. NO THANKS. I did a google view of the place in Mt Shasta and we can park the Uhaul/Ram right in front of the motel on the 2 way main street. The Tesla will be in front of our rooms.

I have to sneak the cat into the Best Western in Redding. I have a carry on soft bag that I'll stuff him into, for arrival and departing. I use those big aluminum pans for the kitty litter. I also always bring a king flat sheet to put on the bed in motels cus the dogs will sleep on the beds and most likely the cat will too.

For the return, the motel in Shasta allows cats and dogs. That will not require any sneaking around. $20 extra per room, but can't leave them all in their respective cars overnight.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
...I found that if I turned the freezer on its back and the tool box laying down...

quick note that it may not be a good thing to lay a freezer on its back. see if you can find any info on-line about the make/model of the freezer and how to move it safely.

and lift with the legs, not the back!

safe journeys! :)

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Agree about the freezer... Putting them on their back or side will mess up the freon... does something to the compressor...pressure....something..... and it is very unlikely it will work properly after that; even allowing it to stay upright for days to allow it to settle...

WOW and double WOW on the rent costs.... holy cow.....:ep:ep:ep:th:th:th:th

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
quick note that it may not be a good thing to lay a freezer on its back. see if you can find any info on-line about the make/model of the freezer and how to move it safely.

and lift with the legs, not the back!

safe journeys! :)

I was about to say freezers and fridge must stay upright or the coolant can leak out.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Mild temp of 66° today. 1.05 inches of rain. This early in the season it doesnt even rate more than a shallow puddle in the driveway because the pond hasn't filled and the ground water level isn't high

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
WOW and double WOW on the rent costs.... holy cow.....:ep:ep:ep:th:th:th:th
I'm thinking same thing!!! WHAT? It's unthinkable. Holy cow -- imagine what your pay HAS to be to pay such rent. :thnot around here.

So cool again, still Fall 🤣. And I see NC mountains had some snow 😳. Too close....please, not here.

Work is calling....finish coffee, checking forums, then leave. It's so unexciting. 🥴 Glad I have my own time schedule -- couldn't make a time clock punch anymore :old:rolleyes: aged outta that. 😄

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
the next frost might be Sunday night. it's been forecast down into the high 30sF before but this is the first time the forecast has gone below 35F. since we're in a low spot we can get frosted any time the forecast goes below 37F.

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I've moved six times since 2009. I've always laid the freezer and frig down, whether it for an hour drive or a 10 hour drive. It doesn't bother them. But then my stuff is OLD!! They don't even make the gaskets for my upright not frost free freezer anymore!

Don't jinx me!!:lol:

Edit to add: @Hinotori All our phones went off yesterday at 2:55 pm. Tornado warning! Cell moving up from Portland to the NE. It was a gorgeous almost shelf like system, but I couldn't see any rotations. Good thing...

Country homesteader

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
images

I have coffee reheating if anyone wants some. I'm doing a relaxing "ME Day" day today seeing how FH is out of town until tomorrow or maybe Thursday (it depends how long it will take to fix the drive lane then repave it).