Coffee's Ready, Come and Sit on the Porch

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Yesterday's rain filled up the swimmin' hole. Lol. Draining it again.
I need the sand to get at least dry enough that I can use the tractor to push it together to make a base for the fire pit.

Wife is shocked over the amount of dirt (and cost) needed to fill in the rest.

Country homesteader

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
possums, raccoons, skunks, mostly useless to trap them if they're not causing issues, they'll just keep making more as fast as you trap them out. groundhogs i just have to shoot on sight, rabbits i hunt to thin them out too, trap chipmunks, deer have fences... everyone else gets a free pass as long as they aren't damaging things. raccoons and possums do get into bird nests and i'm not fond of that behavior but it is just a part of the cycle of life and i'm not going to fight that part of the cycle, i just keep trying to limit my hunting to those who really are causing problems.
Have to disagree with you to some extent. The possums and raccoons are some of the worst for getting into the chickens and doing damage....the possums carry deadly diseases for horses, and both will get into feed cans for the animals; skunks are notorious with getting into eggs/nests... The groundhogs around here will go through the garden in double time... and they do so much damage under building foundations and the huge dens they dig in the fields and we have broken spindles on the the big tractors.
I had groundhogs in the garden and even eat the sunflowers off and leave a stump 4 ft up.

If they are around the house or the buildings, they are causing issues. I celebrate every time I see one get killed on the road. They are as destructive as can be if they are around the livestock, the barns/coops, and the buildings around the house.

I don't go out of my way to bother them out in the woods/fields but they are not welcome here near the house and outbuildings in any way. I can get the groundhogs trapped out and have peace for the rest of the year in most cases.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
there was a groundhog out in the grass yesterday but far enough away i wasn't sure i was going to be able to get it with the air rifle, it was also just behind the garlic patch. as it turned out my shot went through a stalk of the garlic and a scape fell off and the groundhog jumped around as if i hit it, but it did not die right away. the fence made it hard for it to get out, but also there was another groundhog trying to get away that i shot at but i don't think i hit that one at all. anyways, i hope they will stay away now. two small ones and a parent. :( i went out right away to see if i could finish off the one i hit but it had gotten through the fence someplace by the time i walked back there.

we don't have animals around to worry about raccoons or possums getting at them.

Last edited:

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Catnip is well over 4 foot now. Lots of it around the pen this year. Yes the grass is 3 foot or more is spots there. That stuff gets over 6 foot and I haven't weed whacked it in awhile.

VideoCapture_20240628-204153.jpg