FarmerJamie - A new beginning

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
if you want to go for a more permaculture oriented plan you put your primary day food gardens that must be paid the most attention to as close to the house as possible. called Zone 0 or Zone 1. :) means you see it a lot and can keep an eye on things a lot. better chances for things getting done and cared for.

observing a property for a year or two before making major changes is always a good idea so you can see what the water and air flows are like, where the sun hits, etc.

of course, immediate fixes need to get done no matter what thoughts of zones and observations might be.

just my first thoughts. discard or use as needed. no charge.
If we go ahead and pursue this, eventually, I will need to go to the county and get a drawing of the septic leach field layout. Based on what I looked at so far, any large garden will need to be in the front yard (can't see from the road) or in the back third of the property

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Such a blank slate.

Split level with 5 levels, 3/4 steps between levels.

Minor flower bed in front on one side. Nothing else. My cousin (our realtor) and I agree that the dirt around the foundation has settled a little and needs some backfill to slope the water away from the house. Foundation does look dry. I want to plant butterfly and humming bird enticing plants

Wood floors and carpet. Cheap curtains, I will want to eventually replace with blinds. The cats are terrors on curtains, or at least Paisley the Brave is.

No patio or deck, imagination is open!

A freight train did come through while we were touring the house, could barely hear it. The bank in front screened a lot of vehicle traffic noise too.

Going to have to noodle out mitigating potential predator and deer issues. (I was browsing the St Lawrence Nursery website last night for fruit bearing stuff. I bought from them before, they specialize in cold weather hardy plants/trees/etc)
Chronic illness advice

*install a lift. Like a little elevator without a shaft. Judging from the pile of crap at the top and bottom of my staircases, and the amount of conflict over them 😬
*replace carpet with hard floor eventually for wheelchair accessibility
*make a bathroom on the same level as primary bedroom wheelchair accessible. No need for a roll-in shower yet, but get the turn radius spaces and wheelchair access to the sink. Perhaps a false front on a cabinet that can be removed when wheelchair accessible is needed

My inlaws remodeled to make a wheelchair accessible bathroom and bedroom on their main level. Just planning ahead... MIL became wheelchair dependent before they finished it! If they hadn't had most of it done, she would have needed assisted living or nursing home!

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
@baymule and @murphysranch I would appreciate advice on the tractor, i need to post the models we are looking at. Wife stated she would rather have me something overpowered than underpowered. Right now, mowing and moving snow and dirt/mulch will be the primary. On the fence with the tiller attachment, would use it in the Spring and Fall only (also rethinking my gardening approach of tilling). The tiller attachment was a driver up going up in size

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We had a BX-24. It was perfect for our 7.5 acres in Murphys CA. We dug trenches, put in a vineyard, scooped dirt alot and more. No farming tho. No livestock.

We had a chain attachment to use in between the grapes. I can't remember what other attachments we had. But that back hoe was sooooo helpful for many things!