Favourite ways to cook kale

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Food.com was a 100 times better when it was Recipezaar, now I just get frustrated :p

OrganicKale

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I have a bunch of cookbooks that I never use anymore- all of my recipes come from searches on places like Allrecipes, etc.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
sufficientforme said:
Food.com was a 100 times better when it was Recipezaar, now I just get frustrated :p
Ditto. I LOVED Recipeczaar! Now...it sucks. :/ Allrecipes is pretty good too though.

calendula

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I've been looking around for kale recipes too since I have so much. I made this one last night from Joy of Cooking:

Kale and Potato Gratin
1 large bunch kale (about 1 pound), washed well, sliced and deribbed

4 medium Yukon Gold potatoes

2 small onions

2 Tablespoons butter, cut into pieces

1 teaspoon minced tarragon

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon black pepper

1 1/2 cups milk or half and half cream

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 2 quart shallow baking dish.

Steam kale (or gently saute) until almost tender, 8-10 minutes.

Meanwhile, peel and cut potatoes (I leave the skins on myself), and onions into 1/8-inch thick rounds. Drain kale (if steamed) and let stand until cool enough to handle. Press out excess water and coarsely chop. Build up alternating layers of potatoes, onions and kale (2 layers each) in baking dish, beginning and ending with potatoes and dotting each onion layer with butter, minced tarragon, salt and peper. Pour milk or half and half over the top.

Cover and bake in preheated oven until potatoes are tender and almost all liquid is absorbed, 30 to 45 minutes. Place under broiler, if desired, to brown the top.
I added some shredded cheese to the top when I broiled it at the end. It was pretty tasty.

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
Yum Calendula! I just got more kale at the grocery today because of this thread!

debbie_95959

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
When I was a child, kale was a 4 letter word! My mom cooked the canned stuff and I have not-so-fond memories of kale stand-offs at dinner. Much to my surprise "some" number of years later, I love kale -- fresh, not canned. :lol: We have a couple of favorite ways to eat kale -- here's the first:

Rinse kale, chop in large pieces. Drizzle olive oil in cast iron dutch oven, heat over medium heat. Add kale, stems first then followed by leaves. Sprinkle with kosher/sea salt and pepper. Cover with lid and cook 3-4 minutes. Remove lid, drizzle with a bit more olive oil, add 1-2 crushed garlic cloves. Cook until you smell the garlic, turn off heat. Serve as is or sprinkle with red wine or balsamic vinegar and serve immediately.

My kids love it and ask for it often -- a good thing!

Recipe for white bean, sweet potato and kale soup is next!

sparks

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Young kale leaves get sauteed in my eggs in the morning or put in salads. Kale chips are good. I dehydrate a lot of it and add it to all soups, meatloaves,pasta dishes and many more dishes. It is so good for you. The large buggy leaves go to the chickens. :drool