Food Prices, Shortages & Inflation - The Trash Index

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Yes...I see a Sam's trip in my immediate future. Many bags of peas :p Everything else I can either grow or go without. But peas??? Son loves them and MUST have them.

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My romaine, spinach, & argula have already sprouted! :ya

Got the broccoli & cukes in peet pots on the window sill...just waitin' on the pepper & 'maters to sprout. Think I saw a little carrot sprout yesterday. :D

Planted the taters in the tub yesterday. My strawberries have little green leaves.

LOOOOVE my garden! :weee

lighthawk

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I was in the local grocery store yesterday. Usually I pick up a head of cabbage for the chickens as they have not been allowed out. 99 cents a lb. Heck the whole chicken I bought was only 88 cents a lb. Celery was 40 cents higher than last week and it was all rubbery. Cheapest loaf of wheat bread (usually 99 cents) was $1.79.
Even chicken feed went up $1.00 a bag.
Came home and started all my vine plants. Will start the cabbage and brussel sprout plants today. :somad

Damummis

Microfarmer
Reaction score
Just got back from the store.
1 loaf bread and 1 gal milk...... $8.42 :rant
Thank God dairy goats are coming!!
And I don't care what the kids say, home made bread from now on. :tongue

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
//CLASSIFICATION// URGENT//IMMEDIATE ACTION//NOTAM//CONUS//

I just talked to a restaurant owner here who said he was "warned" that food prices were going to rise by "4-6%" some weeks ago, but he said "That was before all this..."

He now estimates the food prices will begin to soar out of control and is in fear for his business. No one will be able to afford food in a restaurant or hardly at home for that matter. Fortunately, I live in an agricultural area. We have cattle and grains, much of which are stored in HUGE containers OR as we say "on the hoof"!

We have something with which to trade. What we need to do is cut out the "middle man" and bargain directly with those who need the things we have to trade.

We have enough beef to be able to afford meat on the table for our citizens. We have corn, wheat, (and yes, even soy) out here. We may not have WalMart, but then Walmart will not be able to afford to haul their stuff out this far.

If you are reading this, I apologize for "beating a dead horse" but hope that those who read this and are NOT prepared to change their way of eating or obtaining their food will take a second look at the REALITY of the situation. The "recession" is trending toward serious all out DEPRESSION and I don't see anyone in Washington getting serious about it. They are still fighting over a 2 week extension on the national budget. We need help. We are in irreversible debt.

Now you may see why I am a big proponent of the "100 Mile Diet" where everything you eat comes from within 100 miles of your home. It may be that in a very short time that will be reduced to 9 Mile diet (that's how far a team of horses can go in a day and why most of our towns in the midwest are only 9 miles apart).

The folks here on SS ARE serious about this. Now's the time to begin teaching those who AREN"T serious about it to "get religion" on this and start to change. No more lawn care. Water is for your front yard garden. Most American homes have enough land to raise enough food to feed them for a year. We're not talking about Victory Gardens here, we're talking SURVIVAL of our PEOPLE gardens. Grass is NOT going to protect them. Food will PROTECT them. YMMV
"LET HIM WHO HAS EARS, LISTEN"

RECOMMENDED IMMEDIATE ACTION://TIME CRITICAL//
(1)ONE FOUR BY SIXTEEN GARDEN (will feed 4 people for a year if properly managed) LARGER WILL ASSIST SUPPORTING NEIGHBORS.
(2) GARDENS ARE LABOR INTENSIVE. TEACH ALL TO USE HAND TOOLS TO TEND GARDEN. THIS IS AN "ALL HANDS EVOLUTION"
(3) COMPOST IS CRITICAL FOR AMENDMENT IF FERTILIZER NOT AVAILABLE.
(4)BEGIN TO BUILD TRUST BETWEEN NEIGHBORS SOONEST. EXPECT AND PLAN TO SUPPORT TWICE NORMAL HOUSEHOLD CENSUS LOCALLY.
(5)BEGIN STORAGE OF STAPLES WITH INDEFINITE SHELF LIFE IMMEDIATELY.
(6) BEGIN IMMEDIATE COMMUNITY SUPPORTED AGRICULTURE (CSA) PLAN AND IMPLEMENT SOONEST.

ALCON RESP SOONEST

//BT//
TRIM SENDS

(ok, I did have a little fun with the message nomenclature. Sorry; I wasn't a signalman) But, THIS IS NOT A JOKE NOR IS IT FUNNY.

When Lcol Lewis Puller was informed at the Chosin Resevoir that he was completely surrounded, he responded "Well, that simplifies the problem. We can shoot in any direction we want."

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My opinion only:

We may be witnessing something much bigger than we know. I'm certainly not into astrology but it appears that the planets are coming into alignment on an extremely dangerous situation.

The citizens of the USA are, and have been for two years or more, in an aggravated state of mind due to our own mistakes in the voting booth. Anger and public unrest is at the highest point I have ever seen. Never mind the reasoning - it's real - and it's now. Think about the unrest in Wisconsin, Indiana, Ohio.

We have nurtured several generations of "precious snowflakes" here in the USA who are almost useless human beings with almost no common sense and no desire to become contributors to a successful population. Oh how sad.

Countries and their governments are crumbling at an alarming pace just in the past few weeks. Citizens all over the world are beginning to realize that they have the power to topple governments.

Maybe the fit is really hitting the shan.

Rebbetzin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
The "eat local" movement is going to move from fad to necessity pretty darn quick.
That would work great if it weren't for the Gov't trying to micro manage the small growers.

We are not even allowed to GIVE AWAY raw milk products these days!!

ksalvagno

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The government is going to continue to say that everything is fine and things are getting better. The governments of the other countries that crashed economically did the same thing. People have to wake up and see what is really going on here and while more and more are, there are too many that still aren't.

It is nice to have a garden as long as mother nature is good to you. All you need is a very rainy year or a drought year and no food from your garden or any other local garden. I don't think you can count on any one source of food. Have many different sources of food. But I'm sure everyone here knows that, it is just getting through to the other people.

It will be interesting to see if the government somehow will try to stop people from gardening and having fruit/vegetable stands. We have them all over the place around here in the summer.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
The restaurant industry is going to be super hard hit :/ So many restaurants work on pretty fine food-cost margins as it is, people aren't going to pay any more than what they already are for their restaurant meal, and a lot of the food industry's overhead costs are fixed no matter whether they serve five, fifty or a hundred fifty patrons per night.

I mean, I think way too many people spend way too much time/money eating out way too often... but I also know a bunch of people whose finances depend on the family restaurant, and they are going to be *screwed* if prices rise to the degree that seems likely to happen :(

Icu4dzs said:
(1)ONE FOUR BY SIXTEEN GARDEN (will feed 4 people for a year if properly managed) LARGER WILL ASSIST SUPPORTING NEIGHBORS
Um, on what planet?

You are not going to "feed" (i.e. provide all or most of the food requirements for) people on just 4x4' of garden area per person. Not even vaguely close. Not even if you live in Hawaii and can grow whatever you want 365 days per year; and of course most of us live elsewhere.

You can produce a considerable amount of food in 4x4', especially in a mild climate, but not THAT much!

Sorry,

Pat

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
The government is going to continue to say that everything is fine and things are getting better.
And here is a good example...

"Federal Reserve Chairman Ben S. Bernanke said a sustained rise in prices for oil and other commodities would threaten the economic recovery, but that even with the turmoil in the Middle East he did not expect higher prices would create inflation problems in the United States.

"The most likely outcome is that the recent rise in commodity prices will lead to, at most, a temporary and relatively modest increase in U.S. consumer price inflation," Bernanke said in testimony Tuesday before the Senate Banking Committee."
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-bernanke-20110301,0,4049236.story