Food Prices, Shortages & Inflation - The Trash Index

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
k0xxx said:
Here's a quick video from the Associated Press about the coming increases in food prices.

Grocery Bills Are on the Rise

In reference to a recent PM and without mentioning the sender, I know that most of us here are already aware of the coming food inflation and as members of the SS community are preparing. However I continue to post these articles and other info in an effort to warn those that have not been preparing their pantry's to be motivated do so. I apologize if the material gets old to some.
Just because it's been posted once, doesn't make it old. It's always useful to have other perspectives and get confirmation from other parties. So keep on posting! Thanks!

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
U.S. crop boom not enough to rebuild thin supplies

"Huge U.S. corn and soybean plantings this spring will likely fail to refill razor-thin stocks enough to quell the surge in grain prices, the U.S. Agriculture Department said on Thursday."

And that is if the current run of bad luck with crops does not continue. It seems that just about every harvest lately has been plagued with flood or droughts, freezes or hail. If we have problems with this one, the upward trend would hasten. Hmmm..., I think that I may order a few more sacks of wheat. :/

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Yup!

I am just waiting for this $$^@#*@&# snow to stop so I can get in the garden.

Hay bale beds in the front yard this year. Grass is getting scarce in my yard :D

Dunkopf

On Vacation
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
Yup!

I am just waiting for this $$^@#*@&# snow to stop so I can get in the garden.

Hay bale beds in the front yard this year. Grass is getting scarce in my yard :D
You only live 50 miles from me. We had about 3 snow flakes this morning. Now we have sunshine. We do have the ever present wind though.

Wifezilla

Reaction score
It's been snowing all morning. Not heavy, but steady and the roads are very slippery.

Wifezilla

Reaction score
Posted on BYC this morning....
I work a few hours a week in a mom and pop grocery and a man came in yesterday and said he and his wife went to Aldi's and the checker told them to stock up NOW because all their stock in the back would come out on the floor at 30% higher and some will be 75%. I think produce will be the 75%, because I buy Romaine for my finches and cockatiels and three weeks ago, it was 99-cents for a beautiful big bunch at the produce store, then the following week it was $1.49 and this past week it was $2.99. So, prepare yourself folks, its coming.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Perhaps people will re-learn to eat what is *available* rather than what they woke up that morning with a hankering for, or what some magazine spread told them to want.

Pat

Wifezilla

Reaction score
The "eat local" movement is going to move from fad to necessity pretty darn quick.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
local = whats out there in the yard!

i have got to learn to grow broccoli - sheesh!

so my commentary about this is that some of my city friends are starting to panic. even the most level headed ones are listening to Glenn Beck (not an endorsement or a slam either way) and are starting to stock up.

i have a feeling that very soon i will be "invited" to visit these pals -- to show them how to use their new pressure canners.

the punchline on all of this is... these folks who i most recently talked to about this (they brought it up).... dont/wont even do their own grocery shopping let alone grow their own food! (let alone cook!)

i'm not kidding - they have all their groceries delivered and mail order their baby wipes. to get to their house you HAVE to drive past 2 luxury grocery stores.

oh golly i love them folks but they are gonna be the first to go... sheesh!

ok on the list to do today is go to the grocery store..then work outside.. then openly mock my city friends.. i mean - send them "prepping" links so they can prepare.
;-)

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Think I'll pick up another packet of tomato seeds and extend my gardens yet again this year. And send dh to buy all the frozen spinach and collards that the local stores have, as that is where we lack in stored food.