Food Prices, Shortages & Inflation - The Trash Index

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Dunkopf said:
... The government can't touch your 401k anymore than they can take money out of your savings. ..

Whoever is talking about the government raiding 401k's is doing more fear mongering. After all the human sheep behave much better when they are afraid. Much easier to manipulate.
I love the little rant smilie! :rant

Begin Rant

You are absolutely correct about your 401k being your private property. Where I feel that you are wrong is in thinking that the Government can't touch it. I'm not saying that I believe that they will, only that they could. It would not be constitutional, but there are many instances where the constitution has proven no roadblock. The Federal government can constitutionally regulate interstate trade, but what about dictating what you can grow in your own garden, and for your own family?

In Wickard v. Filburn, 317 U.S. 111 (1942), the U.S. Supreme Court decided that although a farmer, Roscoe Filburn, was growing wheat on his property and being grown for his own consumption, the amount exceeded imposed limits on wheat farming.

Filburn was ordered to destroy his crops and pay a fine, even though he was producing the excess wheat for his own use and had no intention of selling it.

How about Imminent Domain cases where the courts have ruled that the government can seize your property and give it to another private party or company as long as the government officials feel that the other party will make better use of it? It has happened on numerous occasions.

What about the Federal government deciding that it wants state lands for ANY reason, and just declared it now belongs to the Feds? Did you know that 84.5% of Nevada is owned by the Federal government? How about 57.4% of Utah, 53.1% of Oregon, 50.2% of Idaho, 48% of Arizona, 45.3% of California, 42.3% of Wyoming, 41.8% of New Mexico, etc. etc. etc.

Every year the Federal government adds more state and private owned land to the count. There is no constitutional allowance for the Federal government to own land outside of Washington D.C., and military bases/reservations, but that has not seemed to stop them. It is odd though that a lot of these now Federally owned lands are rich in rare earth minerals....

What about forcing private citizens to turn over a personally owned item? The Federal government would pay the owner a set amount, and once it had the item, then it would immediately raise the price of the item by 75%. It happened by executive order 6102 in 1933 when Roosevelt confiscated most of the privately owned gold in the country.

My point is that just because it is neither constitutional or right, do not believe that the government would not change the rules to benefit it, to the detriment of some of the population. Yes, they're not supposed to do it, and they shouldn't do it, but would they do it if they thought that they were "justified"? YES.

End Rant

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
ksalvagno said:
Well, last summer I picked up a 50 lb bag of cocoa for $63. Today I got a 25 lb bag of cocoa for $93 and that was all I could find. My local bulk shops can't get cocoa. So buy up chocolate!
Puzzled: Why would anyone need 75 pounds of cocoa? I have maybe 4 pounds on hand, and think that will most likely last 4-5 years, if not more. What do you do with so much?

ksalvagno

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
At this point, we put it in smaller packages and mylar'd it. We are preparing for that chocolate shortage. :p Not to mention that we could use that for bartering. I do make a breakfast shake every morning and add a teaspoon full of chocolate. I'm a chocoholic and I don't think I could make it through a day without some type of chocolate. :lol:

Dunkopf

On Vacation
Reaction score
k0xxx said:
Dunkopf said:
... The government can't touch your 401k anymore than they can take money out of your savings. ..

Whoever is talking about the government raiding 401k's is doing more fear mongering. After all the human sheep behave much better when they are afraid. Much easier to manipulate.
I love the little rant smilie! :rant

Begin Rant

You are absolutely correct about your 401k being your private property. Where I feel that you are wrong is in thinking that the Government can't touch it. I'm not saying that I believe that they will, only that they could. It would not be constitutional, but there are many instances where the constitution has proven no roadblock. The Federal government can constitutionally regulate interstate trade, but what about dictating what you can grow in your own garden, and for your own family?

In Wickard v. Filburn, 317 U.S. 111 (1942), the U.S. Supreme Court decided that although a farmer, Roscoe Filburn, was growing wheat on his property and being grown for his own consumption, the amount exceeded imposed limits on wheat farming.

Filburn was ordered to destroy his crops and pay a fine, even though he was producing the excess wheat for his own use and had no intention of selling it.

How about Imminent Domain cases where the courts have ruled that the government can seize your property and give it to another private party or company as long as the government officials feel that the other party will make better use of it? It has happened on numerous occasions.

What about the Federal government deciding that it wants state lands for ANY reason, and just declared it now belongs to the Feds? Did you know that 84.5% of Nevada is owned by the Federal government? How about 57.4% of Utah, 53.1% of Oregon, 50.2% of Idaho, 48% of Arizona, 45.3% of California, 42.3% of Wyoming, 41.8% of New Mexico, etc. etc. etc.

Every year the Federal government adds more state and private owned land to the count. There is no constitutional allowance for the Federal government to own land outside of Washington D.C., and military bases/reservations, but that has not seemed to stop them. It is odd though that a lot of these now Federally owned lands are rich in rare earth minerals....

What about forcing private citizens to turn over a personally owned item? The Federal government would pay the owner a set amount, and once it had the item, then it would immediately raise the price of the item by 75%. It happened by executive order 6102 in 1933 when Roosevelt confiscated most of the privately owned gold in the country.

My point is that just because it is neither constitutional or right, do not believe that the government would not change the rules to benefit it, to the detriment of some of the population. Yes, they're not supposed to do it, and they shouldn't do it, but would they do it if they thought that they were "justified"? YES.

End Rant
Well, they could also come and throw us all in forced labor camps too. I would give the odds of that about the same as the 401k thing. Imminent domain absolutely sucks. However they do have to pay fair market value. It's just that fair market value is quite often in the eyes of the beholder. Most cases have other factors involved that we are not aware of. people get screwed everyday. It depends on how much money you have and how you are able to defend yourself. Look at the Wall Street guys that caused this whole mess. have any of them gone to jail. NO. How many guys are in prison for 20 years because they had 1 small rock of cocaine in their pocket? The gov has the tanks. he with the biggest gun prevails if they want to.

For now I'll stick my money in the 401k vs the bell jar in the ground. Of course the gold investing sounds smart too.

lorieMN

Power Conserver
Reaction score
ORChick said:
ksalvagno said:
Well, last summer I picked up a 50 lb bag of cocoa for $63. Today I got a 25 lb bag of cocoa for $93 and that was all I could find. My local bulk shops can't get cocoa. So buy up chocolate!
Puzzled: Why would anyone need 75 pounds of cocoa? I have maybe 4 pounds on hand, and think that will most likely last 4-5 years, if not more. What do you do with so much?
my question is why WOULDNT you want 75 lbs of cocoa?..LOL

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Do you guys really have a NEED for chocolate? I've never heard of such a thing. I can't remember the last time I had chocolate . . . oops I had a few chocolate chip cookies that my grand daughter made a month or two ago. I guess chocolate is just not a part of my life. I never really thought about it.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
lorieMN said:
ORChick said:
ksalvagno said:
my question is why WOULDNT you want 75 lbs of cocoa?..LOL
aint that right... i was thinking 75 was a little light.... hummm

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
We all have our "thing". :D Chocolate is a nice harmless thing. Full of antioxidants too!

At my house it's butter. I have a lot of it in the freezer. I refuse to ever run out of butter. For hubby it is coffee. Of course I can't stock up because the more I buy the more he drinks. I told him he needs to prepare his own stash!

KevsFarm

On vacation
Reaction score
Karen, you were smart buying the bulk cocoa when you did.I also bought several lbs of cocoa when i bought and stashed bulk chocolate.I also stored mine in mylar bags, and expect the cocoa to lst much longer than the chocolate.
Cocoa will prove to be a great bartering item for those who bake, etc. Some people just don't have the vision, to see the wisdom in your preps.Of course some don't have the money to buy in bulk items, but thats another story.