Food Prices, Shortages & Inflation - The Trash Index

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
ohiofarmgirl said:
we stand there and yell insults at the frozen cases when we see how small the ice cream containers have gotten

they might as well run up the Jolly Roger - nothing short of pirating, i'm telling you.
:lol: :yuckyuck :lol:

I almost spit out that spoonful of Blue Bunny Bunny Tracks!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
k0xxx said:
ohiofarmgirl said:
we stand there and yell insults at the frozen cases when we see how small the ice cream containers have gotten

they might as well run up the Jolly Roger - nothing short of pirating, i'm telling you.
:lol: :yuckyuck :lol:

I almost spit out that spoonful of Blue Bunny Bunny Tracks!
Who needs 'em? We got goat's milk, we got eggs, we got vanilla extract or mint extract, we got chocolate......we got ice cream! They can keep their little overpriced cartons of antifreeze! :tongue

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
hee hee hee, sorry k0xxx.

well.. the grocery stores dont really like it when we show up. pretty much we stand in the meat, dairy, cheese, and egg aisle and ask each other:

do you want some ham/milk/eggs?

and laugh laugh laugh....

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
From the article Koxxx linked to...

"Five or so years ago, Ms. Stauber bought 16-ounce cans of corn. Then they were 15.5 ounces, then 14.5 ounces, and the size is still dropping. The first time Ive ever seen an 11-ounce can of corn at the store was about three weeks ago, and I was just floored, she said. Its sneaky, because they figure people wont know."

(Cuz their paywall is up and we are all too broke paying for ice cream to buy a NYT subscription :D )

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
196_images22.jpg

YO HO HO

I am right there with ya! :)

pass the rum please, best part of pirating :lol:

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Don't forget, a pound of fresh, whole foods is still a pound. They can't change that, thank goodness! The prices go up, yes, but they can't hide it as much. Although the broccoli "crowns" now have bigger and bigger stems, I've noticed.

And a LOT of water comes out of store bought meat....how do they DO that?

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have seriously thought about taking my paring knife with me to trim down those so called broccoli 'crowns'. That would probably be frowned upon :p

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
"Looking at food prices and instances of political unrest from 1970 through 2007, the economists Rabah Arezki and Markus Brueckner find a significant relationship between the two in low-income countries, a group that includes Tunisia, Egypt, Sudan and Yemen. To be exact, a 10% increase in international food prices corresponds to an added 0.5 antigovernment protests over the following year in the low-income world a twofold increase from the annual average.

Given the recent trend in food prices, leaders of low-income countries a group that also includes China might have reason for concern. In February, global food prices were up 61% from their most recent low point in December 2008, according to the IMF. Whats more, the research suggests the effect of food prices has increased in recent years.

Wealthy nations such as the U.S. appear to have less to fear. The economists found no correlation between food prices and political unrest in high-income countries.

That said, not everybody in wealthy countries enjoys a high income. The 24 million American households in the bottom quintile by income, for example, spend an average of 35% of their after-tax income on food, according to the Labor Department. Over the past three months, the price of food in the U.S. has risen at an annualized rate of about 5%. Thats not as bad as the rise in global food prices, but still enough to make a lot of people angry."
http://blogs.wsj.com/economics/2011...flation-foments-political-unrest/?mod=WSJBlog

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I just got back from the grocery store.....yea I feel :somad

one thing food price increase did do for me, make me put my money absolutely on the companies I find to be the best. I sure 'don't just give my grocery' money to anyone anymore.

I also notice MANY closeout prices. many items are being discontinued on the shelf.....heck ya, no one is buying them.

Latest posts