Food Prices, Shortages & Inflation - The Trash Index

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
bambi said:
My observation is it is acually getting more expensive to cook from scratch than to purchase pre-made meals and processed food. This is very alarming to me I love to make my own bread and cook from scratch but it is now so much more expensive. Also every time I go to the store I am elimainating more and still paying more than the previous visit to the store.
Bambi, I think buying in bulk and storing and putting up food can help with this problem. It is much cheaper to buy whole foods and preserve, freeze and can than it is when you have to run to the grocery weekly.

I often only shop sales and buy less expensive cuts of meat. Slow and low is the way to go when cooking. :D

I think it also depends on what your cooking. For people concerned with health issues and special diets whole foods are the only acceptable option.

g

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
k15n1 said:
If you think everything is so terrible right now in the US, you need some historical and international perspective.
Would you like another big drink of the Kool-Aid you've been drinking? Most of the SSers here are not (thank goodness) your average sheeple.

Please go back and read post #920. Wifezilla nailed it.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
I would add only one more point, as the value of the dollar overseas declines, the price of imported food increases as a result of the change in exchange rate.

Check out the prices in the produce section any of the mainstream grocery stores and see how much is grown outside the US.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
bambi said:
My observation is it is acually getting more expensive to cook from scratch than to purchase pre-made meals and processed food. This is very alarming to me I love to make my own bread and cook from scratch but it is now so much more expensive. Also every time I go to the store I am elimainating more and still paying more than the previous visit to the store.
Bambi, I think buying in bulk and storing and putting up food can help with this problem. It is much cheaper to buy whole foods and preserve, freeze and can than it is when you have to run to the grocery weekly.

I often only shop sales and buy less expensive cuts of meat. Slow and low is the way to go when cooking. :D

I think it also depends on what your cooking. For people concerned with health issues and special diets whole foods are the only acceptable option.

g
I consider that my home cooked, costlier diet is offset by the savings in medical, fewer sick days and lost pay, and no outside food costs such as fast food, sodas, etc.

Pirtykitty

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Okay what did I miss... Cooking at home has always been cheaper... Plus you know whats in your food... pre packaged food is full of salt...
Making your own bread, pasta ( still gotta try that one), etc is aways better.

just my 25 cents

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
abifae said:
k15n1 said:
If you think everything is so terrible right now in the US, you need some historical and international perspective.
Actually, that perspective is why we all know things are bad and will get worse.
Can you explain what you mean?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Bambi, it can be more expensive to cook at home if you are trying to duplicate the processed stuff that you are used to and if you are buying your ingredients in the standard grocery store. I used to do this. We rarely buy anything at the "regular" grocery stores anymore. We go to the butcher for bulk meats (unless we go out back to the field or to the freezer!) and buy at the discount grocery store....just shopping produce, basically, and skipping the aisles.

We shop at farm stands all summer and look for bulk bargains to put up, unless we are shopping in our gardens. I forage constantly while walking the dogs (almost daily.) Today I got enough berries and grapes for three pies, which will be frozen for future pies tonight unless it cools off enough to make one pie.

I got a grinder and now get the best organic wheat flour for 44 cents a pound. You can't beat that. Lard from our pigs to cook with, or what I used to do is render it myself from fat purchased for a small amount at the butcher. Almost all flavoring herbs are grown and processed here. I bought a five gallon pail of honey for $1.50 a pound.....it keeps forever and is the best....local and raw wildflower honey that normally sells for $10 per pound or more. I make all of our drinks.....soft drinks, iced teas, kombucha, wine, etc.

When we lived in an apartment (not so long ago) I actually got a phone sales guy to hang up on me. He was selling that meat delivery service. I told him our grocery bill was under $20 a week. He said we must eat out a lot. I said we order take out less than twice a month (it is much rarer now). He hung up. Even in an apartment we grew and gleaned and foraged a lot of stuff. This happened about 15 years ago. Our grocery bill is a bit higher, but not by much. We eat a LOT better now, too. And are older but MUCH healthier.

It can be done. Stick around here and you will learn some wonderful stuff!

Oh, and I haven't used a coupon in years. That has saved me a LOT of money, ditching coupons.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Cooking from scratch can seem more expensive it time, but it really depends on your region and the ingredients you use. Maybe we need a cooking from scratch thread. BRB :D

bambi

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
It must be the region then. Example:
I buy my whole wheat @ farmers market 5lbs for 6.00
1 pint of honey 4.00
My tomatoes did very poorly this year so I thought I would buy @ farmers market in Springfield,mo
2.00 to 3.00 a pound
I have shopped for many years @ farmers market long before this was a popular thing and you could get very good bargins but not anymore.
Thank you for the bulk suggestions now I just need to know where are the cheap places are.
So, I agree with wifezilla.

Kala

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Bambi, it can be more expensive to cook at home if you are trying to duplicate the processed stuff that you are used to and if you are buying your ingredients in the standard grocery store. I used to do this. We rarely buy anything at the "regular" grocery stores anymore. We go to the butcher for bulk meats (unless we go out back to the field or to the freezer!) and buy at the discount grocery store....just shopping produce, basically, and skipping the aisles.

We shop at farm stands all summer and look for bulk bargains to put up, unless we are shopping in our gardens. I forage constantly while walking the dogs (almost daily.) Today I got enough berries and grapes for three pies, which will be frozen for future pies tonight unless it cools off enough to make one pie.

I got a grinder and now get the best organic wheat flour for 44 cents a pound. You can't beat that. Lard from our pigs to cook with, or what I used to do is render it myself from fat purchased for a small amount at the butcher. Almost all flavoring herbs are grown and processed here. I bought a five gallon pail of honey for $1.50 a pound.....it keeps forever and is the best....local and raw wildflower honey that normally sells for $10 per pound or more. I make all of our drinks.....soft drinks, iced teas, kombucha, wine, etc.

When we lived in an apartment (not so long ago) I actually got a phone sales guy to hang up on me. He was selling that meat delivery service. I told him our grocery bill was under $20 a week. He said we must eat out a lot. I said we order take out less than twice a month (it is much rarer now). He hung up. Even in an apartment we grew and gleaned and foraged a lot of stuff. This happened about 15 years ago. Our grocery bill is a bit higher, but not by much. We eat a LOT better now, too. And are older but MUCH healthier.

It can be done. Stick around here and you will learn some wonderful stuff!

Oh, and I haven't used a coupon in years. That has saved me a LOT of money, ditching coupons.
I've discovered that I have serious foraging envy when it comes to the superpowers you seem to possess Free!