Fort Knox aka The Piggy Bank we're back in business!!

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
It sounds horrible, but a couple of months ago I had a moment of weakness and bought two just weaned white gilts for $30 each. And us on a lot! With neighbors. With Gardens! Soooo...... Horse trailer here we go. I figure we can keep them on the horse trailer until they are BBQ size. After all it is a big trailer..... One got loose once but was caught pretty quickly. Now I just dump the feed over the top rail and only open the door to get in to hose it out.

Edited for spelling

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Ooo BBH, I really like the idea of making a corral out of gates. Lots of people in Western Canada and a farm near me use corral panels (with the legs and pinlock joints like round pens) for making corrals but they're so spendy!

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Nursing a headache here...keep it down.

I marched myself down the hill to inspect how he did it. Nothing is out of place, no dig maks along the fence line. The fence touches the ground in all places excetp one. Then it is about 3, maybe 4 inches above the ground. The fence is immovable, so he couldn't lift it up with his nose. That little %$@#*!! must have squeezed all 68# of bacon through that tiny slice of space...just like a gerbil.

When I went into the hay room (which is open on one side) I couldn't find him. Oh wait, there, deep in another bale that he somehow opened and fluffed all about, was that %^&**# sausage all snuggled up under the hay. :somad :somad :somad He didn't even hear me when I walked in on him. It felt so good to smack his pork butt and send him out squealing.

He is now contained in a dog kennel (ha! I got lucky when he went in on his own accord) awaiting my decision to sell him, eat him now for breakfast, or electrify his jail house. :somad

How did pig farmers do it back in the day when they didn't have electric fences???

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
:lol: :gig :lol: :gig

I dunno, but you're making me thankful that my pigs are snowed in.

Yesterday Porkchop thought she wanted out, and she met my boot, but my boot slung her the wrong way, she landed in a 3 ft snow drift.

Ever heard bacon scream?! Yea, she was screaming, and not the "oooh that smells good" sizzling kind of screaming. :lol: :gig

Funny, today not a one of them tried to run out the door when the food arrived.

Oh, and I picked up Bella today - do not, I repeat - DO NOT - pick up a pig without EAR PLUGS.

I swear, I was deaf for a minute!

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
BTW thanks you guys for making me laugh and the for the support.

Lupin, the Piggy Bank sure looks pretty, but sadly it is useless at the moment. :/

Those panels are really just gates, they were cheaper...but still quite high. I am going to use them to seperate my horse's stalls when I get their pole barn built. I will re-fence the pig pen with regular fencing when that darn pig is gone. My future garden doesn't need to be fort knox, we just have to keep the chickens out.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
How did pig farmers do it back in the day when they didn't have electric fences???
they gave them a very large area in which to roam--which is one of the reasons they are now kept in confinement.--it wasn't cost effective to dedicate so much land to the roamings of a pig.

Goodluck with the escape artist!

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Q_A, I was going to ask you about your animal curelty incident. :p

OMG can they squeal!!! And they are nothing but pure muscle mass. Strong!!

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
they gave them a very large area in which to roam--which is one of the reasons they are now kept in confinement.--it wasn't cost effective to dedicate so much land to the roamings of a pig.

Goodluck with the escape artist!
Ahh, makes sense. When I was a kid, out in the country, I remember a pig farmer with a bunch of pigs in a large pasture...and I don't remember any special fencing.

Thanks!

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
We have a pig farmer up the road from us that has pastured pigs. People around here are afraid to buy his piglets because "he lets them roam free and they eat everything".

:lol: :gig