fried dandelions

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Hi, I got this recipe for fried dandelion flowers from Roselind @ TEG recently:

two big handfuls of dandelion flowers (rince them and let air dry)
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup cornmeal
1 tsp baking powder
big pinch of salt
chili powder to taste
Italian herbs to taste
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 egg

Mix the last 8 ingredients together.
Let sit for 10 to 15 minutes.
Dip in the dandelion flowers and fry (pan or deep) in your oil of choice until golden brown.
Drain on paper towel
Salt to taste

I couldn't believe that the flowers were edible, so before I tried this recipe I just ate a flower by itself raw. I loved it! I've always only ate the greens (when they were young), but the flower? I had no idea! WOW!
Now I add the raw (rinced) flowers to my daily salads.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Ok, when I had free time, I had been reading up on dandelions. I knew they were good for you but who knew how good?!?!? My dandelion flowers have just started to bloom. I picked lotsa ftlowers, , poured boiling water on them and am letting them steep. Tomorrow I am making dandelion herb jelly with a recipe I found online. With the leaves I have also made the tea. I have some leaves in the dehydrator right now. I will try to drink four cups of dandelion tea a day. I have certain health issues, and if what I read is correct, this would help, so we'll see. I have not dug up any root,,but if I don't get around to it this week, there is always this fall.

I went to make dandelion fritters, but after picking a whole bunch,then receiving a phone call, and a few other side tracks, the flower heads all closed up. So tomorrow is a new day, and fritters will be on the menu tomorrow. ( My lawn has not been treated in 'fer sure-two years, but more than likely alot longer, and I have three acres of alot of dandelions ). I am so excited about dandelions right now.
When I lived in the city, I was ostracized for not treating my lawn to get rid of the dandelions. Now I am in the country, and I love having a yard filled with yellow flowers!!!!! Not only are they pretty (befor the seed heads come, but they are good for you!!!! Go pick some dandelions!!!!!

StoneBridge Farm

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Make sure you post how they taste and maybe a pic of them all fried up...I am curious. We always have TONS of dandelions.

Anyway ever try Dandelion wine? Curious to the flavor. I might have to make a run to Amish country. :pop

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
As a matter of fact we DID just try some dandelion wine this past weekend!! MMMMmmmmMMMM GOOD!!

The wife and I, and a couple we run around with, took Friday off and headed to Amish country for the Breitenbach Winery Dandelion festival! http://www.breitenbachwine.com/
They have this little festival every year, and we try to get down there to drink some wine and pick up a case or 3 of their different wines. We even have them ship it to us when we run out!! :lol:
This year they were selling mashed potatoes with dandelion gravy. Boy oh boy is THAT ever tasty!!!