Hey Foodies, did you watch jamie Oliver's food revolution last night?

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
In the states, they have breakfast and lunch programs. The young kids would eat pizza for breakfast one day and have it for lunch the next day. Here in Canada, only highschools have cafeterias. Way back when I was in highschool, I never ate in the cafeteria. My niece brings her own lunch to highschool. From what my sis tells me, the food is still junk in HS.

Also on the show, the kids would have high sugar cereals and then pour either chocolate milk or strawberry flavoured milk on top of that high sugar cereal. These practices, as well as pizza for breakfast is all within the USDA's approval for "healthy"breakfasts. Hmmm.... ALLfood served came from a box in the freezer, except for the buns, but most of them were tossed. Mashed potatoes were made from"potato peas"--just add water and stir. According to one cook at the school--they were a cooks best friend. Double Hmmm....

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
The all time favorite lunch in our school system is mozzarella sticks.
From the online menu:
Mozzarella Sticks
Tossed Salad
100% Fruit Juice
Fruit Cup or Fresh Fruit

All but the mozzarella sticks end up in the trash. The "salad" is 99% iceberg lettuce, a palid tomato slice, a few dehydrated shreds of carrot and bottle Italian dressing.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Exactly what I mean (Miss North)...all that crap needs to be cleaned up and cut OUT.

Here we do not even have real kitchens in the newer schools. It is all mad ein one huge facility and trucked out to the schools to be reheated. Our budget is about $1 per meal.

It is not possible to get a fresh meal at $1. :smack

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Dace said:
There is nothing wrong with pizza, really...just clean it up.

A bigger problem is all the juice, choc milk, chicken nuggets, processed meatballs, tater tots, fruit 'cocktail', battered fried foods like shrimp poppers blech........loads of sugar and mystery ingredients.

It is a mess and there is just no money to properly clean it up. I only let my kids buy lunch ones in a blue moon. Just flat out bad food. Many kids buy every day.
Jamie even said that, but he was astounded that 1, it was served for breakfast, and 2, that it was a staple in these kids diets.

He got absolutely no cooperation fromt he kitchen staff. When he asked them to read the ingredient on the frozen boxes, regardless that the first ingredient was "chicken" or "potatoes", none of them showed alarm that after the first main ingredient, was followed by 20 other ingreients of words not one of them could pronounce. But they thought it was good food.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
Dace said:
There is nothing wrong with pizza, really...just clean it up.

A bigger problem is all the juice, choc milk, chicken nuggets, processed meatballs, tater tots, fruit 'cocktail', battered fried foods like shrimp poppers blech........loads of sugar and mystery ingredients.

It is a mess and there is just no money to properly clean it up. I only let my kids buy lunch ones in a blue moon. Just flat out bad food. Many kids buy every day.
Jamie even said that, but he was astounded that 1, it was served for breakfast, and 2, that it was a staple in these kids diets.

He got absolutely no cooperation fromt he kitchen staff. When he asked them to read the ingredient on the frozen boxes, regardless that the first ingredient was "chicken" or "potatoes", none of them showed alarm that after the first main ingredient, was followed by 20 other ingreients of words not one of them could pronounce. But they thought it was good food.
Ugh, if you can't pronounce it (or know what it does) you should not eat it :smack

I have no problem with pizza for breakfast, or a sandwich, or wrap. I think anything with some protein, complex carbs and some natural fat is a good choice. French toast stix on the other hand are worthless, even detrimental.

Don't get me wrong, my kids to eat pancakes and waffles now and then...I TRY to keep those as weekend foods though. I hate to send them to school to try to learn on that kind of breakfast.

Edited to add....we recorded last nights show and will watch it tonight with the fam.....kids just love it when I make them watch food related shows :lol: Go ME!

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
O.K. Jamie Oliver...YUM! :p

:rant Don't even get me started on school lunches! :somad

I have made my daughter's lunch (now she makes her own) since the day she started going to school.

I do it b/c I want to know that the food she is eating is safe, fresh and healthy. (Actually 95% of what we eat has been cooked from scratch by me or by herself now.)

Even when I was commuting and working long hours I still managed to cook almost all (well, 95%) of our meals. (I relied heavily on the crock pot back then, but still!)

On top of all the crap they put on the school lunch tray, the tray itself is now disposable styrofoam!!!! (At least it was in Texas.)

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
French toast "sticks" can be made healthy by using homemade sourdough wheat bread and fresh pastured eggs served with butter (from grass fed cows) and raw local honey. :drool <--hey a new smilie!!!

They can be made ahead of time too and then frozen. I think I'm going to make some right now for next week's breakfast!

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
In the states, they have breakfast and lunch programs. The young kids would eat pizza for breakfast one day and have it for lunch the next day. Here in Canada, only highschools have cafeterias. Way back when I was in highschool, I never ate in the cafeteria. My niece brings her own lunch to highschool. From what my sis tells me, the food is still junk in HS.
The elementary school that my niece and nephew go to has a lunch program... they can have one of 5 choices... cheeseburger, hamburger, lasagna (frozen), pepperoni pizza, fries... that's it... that's the only choices they have. No veggies, no fruit... nothing healthy.

It's disheartening...

I :love Jamie Oliver

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
I make french toast from my homemade bread, my chicken eggs, and real maple syrup to dip....about a tablespoon. I make pancakes from scratch and hide fruit in them....pumpkin pancakes are really good too!

School lunch programs.......yet another reason to homeschool my kids....

I watched it last night...I think his heart is in the right place but people have to WANT to change.