Jason closes his journal... Thanks!! I love you!!

modern_pioneer

Mountain Man
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
Sorry MP :( :hugs

Are you going to stick with the German short hair breed?
BBH, that's a good question, and let me explain my breeders point of view.

My breeder assured me this was the dog for me, so I purchased my dog from them.

I felt odd when a email prior to pick up was sent about their current food, I never was alerted myself that at four weeks they were eating Iams, not milk. Than I needed to pick her up ASAP and was given Bil-Jac food when I did pick her up. I was confused as to what food she was eating, still never asked why she was eating food at 4 weeks.

I have never had a puppy, just dogs from the pound, what??? that's fine. But never a purpose dog/puppy to help in the fields and be a family member. So I latched onto the breed because I can. I never understood the breed before I even met my breeder. DW had done the research, I read Joans books on the breed, and took it in as face value.

Yesterday my breeder brought forward several aged dogs of the same breed/bloodline which showed me what I was looking at.

I showed how I had worked w/ Sarah and she followed and did several things I taught her in front of the breeders. Even in the presents of another German Short Haired they were raising at 6 months of age was running all around the living room, all over the place, on the couch, hit the walls, and just high strung in general, Sarah followed my commands and pleased me by sitting down. Breeder said she (6 month old dog they wanted to trade) is crated and doesn't come in the house often. The breeder never did get her to do any command they asked her to do, and their bragging of clicker training, well I would think that dog has never been clicker trained. Peanut just sits if she hears a clicker, DW showed me yesterday even after years of not hearing it.

The breeders also brought a 2 y/o bloodline German Short Haired Pointer in the room, she was nothing less than beautiful. She was confident, secure, pretty, and off the hook as far as how she behaved. She was all over the place and the breeder held her down by the collar to make it seem like she had settled. She wasn't settled, and I could tell she was crated, not a family dog in the spirit.

If I knew then what I know now, I wouldn't have chosen the breeders.

I do like the breed, and I am not giving up just yet.

I like the stance and physical being of the breed, I like how they are confident and smart. I like their position and how they see the world. I like how they wanna smell and explore the world and to be forwardly active on what they think.

But the breed demands more attention than I am able to give. The issues brought forward of ranking as far as Sarah was concerned was a problem. But she was doing her thing, and it is what it is.

ScottSD

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
4 weeks??????

:th

That is way too young. I honestly cannot believe the breeder let you have it that young.

I have heard 7 weeks is the optimum, but even a little older is ok.

I have heard similar frustrations with other people who have had GSPs, though. They can be headstrong and stubborn.

I've only had labs and I doubt that I will ever have anything else.....Jake, the one in my avatar, is a pointing lab and he is an awesome hunting dog, for both upland game and water fowl.

Also, he is a devoted dog and knows his place in our family. Below the five of us and above the cat!

There is a reason why the lab is the most popular breed in the country.....;)

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
4 weeks is very young...

In all fairness, I knew a guy who had a lovely GSHP, a very well behaved young male dog. He used him for hunting as well as a jogging partner. (The dog went with him everywhere.) They were apartment dwellers in the big city of downtown Houston. The dog was high energy, but very well behaved. It can be done. Sounds like you learned a valuable lesson.

I only have pound puppies, but I noticed you mentioned meeting a potential new dog in a neutral place. I've been told this too. And after a crazy experience with literally "the worst dog in the world" I learned too late that I should have a. introduced my other dog to her in a neutral place and b. I should have kept her (the new dog) outside for the first week or so. She was dominant and very obnoxious etc. (It took a full year to recondition her b/c of my mistakes.) Apparently starting the new adult (or dominant) dog on the "lowest rung on the ladder" is a good thing. Helps them learn to respect you and the other dog you may own. Not saying to be mean, just saying to not give too many privileges right away. (I'm in no way an expert BTW. lol) The new dog was only a 10 mo puppy too, so I didn't expect her to be so dominant toward my family and my other 7 year old dog.

I never had an issue with this before in all of my dog rescuing experiences. This particular dog happened to come with a ton of baggage and a huge chip on her shoulder. (Now she is the best LGD in the world! But I almost gave up on her b/c of my ignorance...I'm still learning!)

Cant wait to hear about your new dog to be!!

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I haven't read the whole story of Sarah, just popping in every once in awhile, but I'm sorry she didn't work out for you. But from what you write about the breeder's dogs - the ones "on show" for you :/ - plus the fact that you were allowed? encouraged? to pick her up at 4 weeks - makes me think that the breeder is not a good one, whatever his dogs' bloodlines. 4 weeks is way, way too young to take a pup from its mom. I hope you are able to find another dog that suits your family better. (Personally, I would hope that you might consider a rescue organization for the breed you choose, but maybe you have reasons for wanting to start with a pup)

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Sorry darlin', I agree, 4 weeks is waaaaaaay too early to separate from mama. Sorry it didn't work out for you, I love my labs too! The hair drives me crazy but I love em!

I'm glad you realized what you needed to do before you got too attached. How are the kids handling it?

modern_pioneer

Mountain Man
Reaction score
I think it is wise to move a different direction and look into getting another dog later this year.

The snow keeps coming and coming, I keep plowing/shoveling/plowing as the lake effects snow pounds us.

I made some gifts for certain folks including my mentor Jim, who isn't doing really well right now. I figure he won't get out and work his body some or even walk a couple miles a day to help himself get better. I know I have taken on several health issues in recent months only because of the ill effects to my health.

I continue to be smoke free, and from time to time I do get those urges to smoke, but they soon pass.

The kids have settled with the puppy having to go, although as unemotional I can be in real life, I tend to keep a kinder heart and softer words for my children when dealing with matters like this. The simple idea that Sarah needed instruction I couldn't give her is what I explained to them. DS works outside with me often so he understands me more. As far as DD goes, her tears of hurt tends to make me explain it to her more and more. I can see that she is hurting and I want to fix the problem, but the solution isn't a good one, hence the problem in the first place. So I just relax and offer a shoulder to cry on and offer words/ideas of our new puppy in the near future.

In a few weeks I will begin and finish a few projects that need to get done and so I can say I finished the jobs. I have to finish the bathroom as well as a new ceiling light in the kitchen. Again, I am so pleased I got the storm doors finished last fall, what a difference.

Seed magazines are already arriving, next to MEN and Nat Geo, they good reads for throne sitting and garden planing.

I know several fruit trees died last year, I will replace those as well .

I better go, I got dinner started, and its my night to cook.

Also I installed a new outdoor light in the snow, while 8 inches sat on the ground. The first one didn't work. I removed it trouble shot the wiring, looked good, took it back, purchased a new one different brand installed it and it works fine.

It was tough being 10 feet off the ground in a snow storm, the temps were between 15-23 while I was working. Of coarse Chad does it everyday in his bucket truck doesn't he Lori?

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Honey, he is on a forklift everyday, he manages the warehouse. He has to keep all the materials straight for the contractors. They kill him. They just dump things in the warehouse and leave them for him to clean up. One day he got fed up cause they wouldn't put their empty cardboard boxes in the recycling bin. They would just throw them all over. He put all the empty boxes in their break room and filled it up so full they couldn't get in there and then took the forklift and dragged the recycling bin next to the door. He got so much lip for that but they didn't throw their stuff on the floor anymore.... :lol:

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
lorihadams said:
Honey, he is on a forklift everyday, he manages the warehouse. He has to keep all the materials straight for the contractors. They kill him. They just dump things in the warehouse and leave them for him to clean up. One day he got fed up cause they wouldn't put their empty cardboard boxes in the recycling bin. They would just throw them all over. He put all the empty boxes in their break room and filled it up so full they couldn't get in there and then took the forklift and dragged the recycling bin next to the door. He got so much lip for that but they didn't throw their stuff on the floor anymore.... :lol:
Oh, you had me laughing with that one :lol: :gig :lol: :gig

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
ScottSD said:
4 weeks??????

:th

That is way too young. I honestly cannot believe the breeder let you have it that young.

I have heard 7 weeks is the optimum, but even a little older is ok.
A lot of states have made it illegal for a breeder to sell/give away a puppy at less than 8 weeks. We got one of our dogs (pit bull) from a breeder at 10 weeks, he was housebroken and knew how to sit :)

It's too bad about Sarah, but I'm sure there's a great dog out there for you AND your family...