Jason closes his journal... Thanks!! I love you!!

modern_pioneer

Mountain Man
Reaction score
We all do AL, we all do.... We hope always that what we are doing will make a difference or be something new.

Perhaps a trend or a new idea and a fresh start for something that nobody has ever done before, or a twist on something before...

Who is getting seed catalogs?

What are your garden plans?

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Got my Baker Creek catalog a few weeks ago. Already got my order :D Growing amaranth and a couple of varieties of mini melons...Rich sweetness 132 and collective farm woman. Plus I have a load of saved seeds. Also trying chufa this year.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
How are yo with this new storm jay? Is the snow piling up?

Garden plans..humm..

A few days ago I shoveled a mini truck load of composted horsey poop into my raised beds. It was not quite the consistency I liked so I have been watering the heck out of it. No rain in our forecast.

I had two boxes I amended last month. So I planted some onion sets, lettuces, beats and carrots. The ground is still a bit chilly but I am hopeful.

The very same day my Baker Creek order came in. I bought the basics, beets, lettuces, pole beans, green beans, carrots , several tomatoes and some zucchinis.

I have a question on the pole beans, did you tie yours up or do they climb naturally like a snow pea?? It's funny I have always done bush beans but the pole beans can be such a space saver. I am thinking about planting them on the new fence.

Well, stay warm and before you know it spring will be here.

g

kcsunshine

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We plant our half-runner beans on the barb-wire fence between our field and our neighbor's. We plant pole beans in a long row with fence posts placed down the row every 8-10 feet. Then run wire across the top and bottom of the posts. We then take baling twine and go over and under the wires to the end of the row. Once the beans start to run, they'll find the twine and it's "Katy barred the door" after that. They'll run way past the top and twine around each other. Pole beans are a lot of "up-front" work but picking is a lot easier than bush beans. We also use the twine on the half runner beans. Oh well, as usual, I rambled. To answer your question - they don't need to be tied as long as they have something to grab on to.

modern_pioneer

Mountain Man
Reaction score
G.... Pole beans can make interesting obelisk/features in the garden. KC is correct, but my bean tree was easy to build and I will use it again this year. It is by the grace of God that we got 1/4 inch of snow from that storm.... It went 9 miles south of here, 9 miles... I went to the big box store this morning and needed to turn on my 4 wheel drive once I got there. Also worth mentioning here, pole beans can be grown up trellises as well.

kcsunshine

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I tend to forget you guys aren't planting for the whole county. We grow for the farmers market so there are times I pick 4-6 bushels a week.

modern_pioneer

Mountain Man
Reaction score
:p :lol: :rolleyes:

keisel_kam.jpg