low intervention births ( carryover from BYC)

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
All 3 of mine were in the hospital with doctors.
My first, I was young and didn't give it a second thought other than "it must be safer this way" and used pain meds cause I was chicken of pain. Yet by the time I was given said meds it was almost over and needn't have bothered.
Second one also thought safer because of so many years since the first. This little gem was induced, but no pain meds. Induced because I was already a week late and doc was about to go on a 3 week vacation.
And by the third one, I was finally getting the idea that docs & hospitals were just along for the ride but still went with it. I had pain meds but then labor stopped and as the nurse was going to get labor jump start meds the pain meds were wearing off and labor began again I said don't bother, let's just get on with it.

One thing I noticed with pain meds, they'd knock me for a loop and took much longer time for recovery. My second, without pain meds, I could have done anything within a few hours. Reminded me of the stories of those who had their babies in the fields and went right back to work. I felt great.
If I would have known then what I know now....I'd probably have homebirths with or without professional intervention.

BTW....... :welcome to chikeemomma

ChikeeMomma

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Well, thanks old fashioned. I'm a regular on BYC, so I followed this thread over from there. Glad to be here. My family tries to be self sufficient so I'm excited to look around!

Hoosiermomma

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Hunterjumper...well let me first applaud you for your decision to start a family and the thoroughness that you are putting into the decision making and planning. Kudos....:thumbsup Anyway I have five kids. My first one was my only 'natural' childbirth experience. I suppose it went rather well, natural childbirth style....but at the same time...I had my other four...epi style. ;) Actually my oldest sis had nine children all natural style. I felt like I had to at least give it a good ole' team try at least once. Soo...up until the stage they 'call' transition, I was good. Then I turned into the demon from hell. I told my dh that I hated him. I wanted to kill him and that he was scum for doing this to me. ......I must have had smoke coming out of my ears and my eyes must have turned a bright red. I could see fear in his eyes. The nurse made me stand up...saying 'honey...it'll help with the pain if you stand up...it'll also make the baby come out faster'....ummm wth? Okay...so I tried it...NO on both accounts! I wanted to wring her neck too! Okay so I am not the most laid back, relaxed type person. Anyway I stand up like they say...and hold onto my dh's waist. Well let's just say his pants were no longer up around his waist when I was done b/c the pain was so bad. ;)) Needless to say that is partially why I only went natural once. I didn't like the demon being that possessed me. lol.... With the others...I withstood as much as I could..and then asked for the shot. After that it was all good! ;)
Really it comes down to personal preferences. I would love to have had a doula but with my history I couldn't risk it. However, if my girls ever choose that route, I will definately encourage and support them!
Good luck on your journey!!!!!

On Our own

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Make sure you get the book Taking Charge of Your Fertility!!!!!!!

My first birth I was 38 and everything that could go wrong - did. Both DD and I nearly died, so while I am a big proponent of having a natural birth, having medical staff on hand was quite literally a life saver. So I will still always recommend that.... tell you more l;ater

gettinaclue

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I had hospital birth with both of mine and I'm very glad I did. Both of my kids were in severe distress while giving birth. My youngest even spent several days in the NICU - he stopped breathing a couple different times after birth. At that point in my life I thought anyone who did it any other way were either to poor to afford the hospital or some kind of weird-o. LOL. Ahhh, how times have changed.

I did have a midwife with my first-she worked with the Dr. I really hated it. She never answered any questions, she scrubbed my membraines with out talking to me about it first. Her bedside manner was horrible. After many years, I have come to the conclusion - she was just a really bad midwife.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
I have had 5 hospital births, and while the last 4 were at the same hospital, each and every experience was different.

I have to go feed calves, but I'll be back to talk about my experiences.

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
Occamstazer said:
How much resistance did you guys meet from, um...mothers-in-law, doctors, and so forth?
I forsee that causing me serious problems in the future. I can bully my own family into leaving me alone to do things my way, but she's another boat entirely :p
:D Let me start by saying my Mother in law hates me anyway for taking her boy child. :gig

She was HORRIFIED I was planning a home birth, she kept telling me horrible stories and tried right up until the day before my daughter was born to change my mind.

I didn't have a regular doctor, I did go see one when I was pregnant for something else - and when told about my planned home birth he asked "And your husband is going to allow this?" :gig :gig :gig :gig I actually LAUGHED at him!

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
As far as my specific experiences... despite being discouraged by my family dr from using midwives (because I was 39 when the first kid was born, and 42 for the 2nd one) I saw midwives throughout both pregnancies (and for two others too that sadly ended in miscarriage). Appointments were usually 1/2 hr long and we talked about a variety of things, much better than the usual revolving-door type doctors office appointment.
I loved the long appointments with the midwife, mine were normally an hour long, and she took the time to let my son feel my belly - she told him where the baby was lying and let him feel the baby's head, she let him listen to the baby's heart with that cone shape thing, but he couldn't hear it. :D
She took the time to explain all the tests (I declined almost all of them) she explained both sides, etc.
She spoke alot to my husband so he would be comfortable with what was happening and what would happen etc. It was really nice for my husband to be so involved in the whole process, by the time birth day arrived he was confident and positive about the enitre process, he has no medical training at all - but he knew what to do etc...

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
gettinaclue said:
I had hospital birth with both of mine and I'm very glad I did. Both of my kids were in severe distress while giving birth. My youngest even spent several days in the NICU - he stopped breathing a couple different times after birth. At that point in my life I thought anyone who did it any other way were either to poor to afford the hospital or some kind of weird-o. LOL. Ahhh, how times have changed.

I did have a midwife with my first-she worked with the Dr. I really hated it. She never answered any questions, she scrubbed my membraines with out talking to me about it first. Her bedside manner was horrible. After many years, I have come to the conclusion - she was just a really bad midwife.
Sorry about your disterssed babies! :hugs

That midwife sounded like a terrible person. :/ I think you are right, just a really bad midwife.

My midwife was part of a group of midwives that ran a birthing center/clinic. I had to rotate appointments between all 3 midwives b/c we never knew who was going to be on call when I went into labor. All three were wonderful, peaceful and caring. They all went over my list of wants etc. and took the time to answer all of my new mom to be questions.

They even had a special van to transport women to the hospital JIC there was an emergency. The hospital was just up the street.

ETA: Welcome to SS Chikeemomma!

eggs4sale

Lush who can't use a cheese grater
Reaction score
Scrubbing membranes?
229.gif

I think somebody needs to find a housecleaning job.
reading.gif
--->
4u2ap3b.gif