Picture Of The Week (POW) Information & Submissions

Nomadicus

Power Conserver
Reaction score
1720839763568.png

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score

those can be found in the wild in my area. lovely color of flowers and a secondary source of food for Monarchs if the other milkweeds aren't around. the other nice thing about them is that they do not spread by rhizomes/roots like the milkweed does so they're much easier to control. they do have a taproot which does not like being transplanted, so if you start them from seeds plan on having a deep pot for them to get going. :)

Nomadicus

Power Conserver
Reaction score
those can be found in the wild in my area. lovely color of flowers and a secondary source of food for Monarchs if the other milkweeds aren't around. the other nice thing about them is that they do not spread by rhizomes/roots like the milkweed does so they're much easier to control. they do have a taproot which does not like being transplanted, so if you start them from seeds plan on having a deep pot for them to get going. :)
That photo was taken in a 3+ acre field in TN that was planted just to attract Monarch butterflies. This was the first year it bloomed. Lots of all kinds of pollinators came but not a single Monarch to be seen that first year. I never got a chance to go back the next year or afterwards as we relocated to a farm of our own.

SS Project Manager

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Partridge and blue partridge silkie chicks.

Hatch just finished. Eggs from 2 pens so chicks are banded to separate. I'll replace them in a week.

View attachment 26823
Way to go, @Hinotori! Your incredible photo is this week's Picture of the Week and it's taking center stage on our homepage! :weee