Quail_Antwerp: Words from the Barnyard...

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
2dream said:
QA I have missed so many days reading everyones journals it is impossible to catch up. I just wanted to jump in and say YEAH on the goat being good today. I read enough to know she has been a problem.

I am planning to have goats by next spring. Hope you won't mind helping me along the way after I get them.
Hey, I am not goat expert, but I'll help where I can LOL

Don't stress over trying to read everything in my journal. No worries! :)

We'll just get out some wet noodles and whip ya LOLOL :gig

*Aly~who is in a silly mood tonight, can ya tell?*

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
New Goats? Yes, you are a glutton for punishment!
Funny though, today you had a more laid back approach to the goats and somehow it all went well....maybe your negativity toward them and their antics was getting the better of you!

It sounds like you had a good day :)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
goats should not eat bread
big time bloat trouble...you don't want that.
a little to eat, of course OK, but don't make it any type of staple.
my goats only get grain and hay, beet pulp, minerals, and some dried molasses....nothing else.

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
That's what I was afraid of, that it might harm her some how. She only had a half a piece of bun.

Now I'm wondering if I should brave the dark and run out to see if she's OK this morning!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
oh quail I am sure she is fine
a piece of bread ain't going to kill her "snap" like that..LOL
I mean don't use it as a food in general.
their tummys are very unpredictable...if they get bloat (gas) buildup it is life threatening big time.

so just a general--don't feed alot as a rule. I just never give it to them.

goats have a high metabolism. anything sweet like fruits is a good thing. when preggo, they go into ketosis very quickly, so when they are in their last month of preggo, I feed only sweet feed then. they sure need the sugar in the system.

just goat chatting..LOL

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
Thank you for the info, FC.

The two new goats arrived last night.

I'M NOT HAPPY.

THEY ARE PYGMIES! That or pygmy crosses, but ok whatever, they are cute, and much better behaved than Elroy or Nan when we first got them.

They came with a huge dish to feed them in and collars.....ooh guess who's going to be taking turns tied out? The former owners said they eat everything....in other words, good weedeating goats...got plenty for them to weedeat around here LOL

And they are FAT! I will try to get pics of them later today. One is named Snowball (solid white go figure) and the other one is named Sassy, and they definitely know thier names. They followed DH right to the gate last night like a pair of puppies. LOL too cute.

I wish my Nan and Elroy were as fat as these two. It upsets me that they aren't because it makes me think they were neglected more than DH and I realized at their former home.

Goat feed is being delivered today (chicken feed, too lol) via Mom. I am calling my order into the feed store and my mom is picking it up on her way over.

Gotta love moms! LOL

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
HMM did they fatten them up for you to slaughter? LOL, you know, one of these days I will be travelling thru ohio....should I bring my gun? :D

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
LOLOL rm no they are not for eating :rolleyes:

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Wow, QA, really sad to think that your original goats had it harder than you thought.

Pygmies Yuck! - sorry! I just think they are ugly - it looks like they have deformed legs to me. They seem to be really popular up here, though. Probably because they are easier to handle if they get into trouble. :D

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
pygmies, to me, are useless....but good as a pet and weedeater just like you said. So I guess they have some value...LOL

do not get your goats fat. very unhealthy for them. a normal weight is better. My goats are fat when preggo, after kidding they slim down to just "maybe, maybe" seeing a rib outline. Of course babies are sucking them down but they are fed well.

1 cup of goat chow per goat per day. I have the big goats and that is all that is recommended. Hay, grass, roughage is the most important to thier entire system.

If I had to choose between feed or hay for any reason, give them hay and any other roughage. without it you have an unhealthy goat.

I love goat chat...HA HA HA

I bet those little suckers are cute though! :) Treated like dogs, tie out chains and big dog bowl..HA HA HA---I never treat livestock like dogs..HA HA